General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need serious help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:11 PM
852wd318ciram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need serious help

its a long story bout this truck 1985 2wd reg cab. 318ci and torqueflite727 out of a van.
my bro slung 2 rods in the stock slant 6, so he bought a 1986 van, it had a 318ci with a TQflite727. he thought he knew what he was doin and put the 318 in the truck and tranny. well the wiring harnesses didnt match so he made do with it.... he melted the whole wiring harness! where it goes into the cab. (at the firewall) well me and my dad got a book and tried to rewire it correctly, putting both wiring harnesses together and using only what we needed. well it ran decent for a few months. then somthing happened and it wouldnt run right. (start jumpin and backfiring) i would throw it in neutral and hold the gas to the floor for a few seconds. then it would run fine for a little while??? then one day it just died and gave up... needless to say its sittin down the hill waitin on me. does anybody know where i can get a wiring harness? but its a '86 van 318ci in a '85 ram d100 ram.

im planning on tryin to restoring it and have it running. i cant find anything for a 1985 dodge? it always skips me and goes from 84 to 86??
i hope someone can understand this mess and try to help me out!

THANKS!

Old 11-30-2004, 03:17 AM
brian_a_mcmillen
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need serious help

Hey there....

I'm not sure your problem is in the wiring unless you have an electric fuel pump or something. If it is electrical, check the ballast resister. Anyone who drives an earlier model Chrysler product should always keep one of these in their glove compartment just in case.....this is the cheapest thing to check.

But before you even spend a dime, check to see if you have spark. There are three things which make an engine run, fuel, air and spark....OK, there are more like compression etc., but these are the things you should check first. If you can varify that you have no spark, then start with the ballast resister. There is a way to check them with an Ohm meeter and you can find out the specifications to check it in a Haynes manual. If that checks out alright, check the coil next. If things are cool there, check the ECM (the silver box on the firewall). The manual also tells you how to check this. If that's alright, check the pickup in the distributor......and remember to check the ignition switch. You can make your own wireing harness inexpensively if you have the schematics (Haynes manual again), some wire (get all the colors), the connectors and finally about 3 rolls of electrical tape. Believe me, it's not as difficult as the guys at the dealership want you to think it is.

Alright, once you've ruled out the electrical system (you have spark) then check the fuel system. If you have both of them functioning and the engine still won't run, I would check the timing chain. If this engine has over 75,000 miles on it and has the fiber coated gears (which it probably does) it may have slipped. This happened to me in a 72 Challenger.

Hope some of this info was helpfull!

Brian

Quick Reply: need serious help