General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine loses oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 10:53 AM
ss396chevelless
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine loses oil pressure at idle

The vehical is a 1999 Ram with a 5.2 Just had an oil change about 500 miles ago, it lost all oil pressure before(right after a head was replaced) but i changed the oil filter and it was fine after that. On the way home from work today pretty much every time i would come to a stop I would lose oil pressure. Is this most likely the pump? or something bigger like the rear main? Has anybody had similar problems? let me know, Thanks!
The vehical is a 1999 Ram with a 5.2

Old 12-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Snafu
Default RE: Engine loses oil pressure at idle

Check your oil level. If your level is good, I'd guess pump. If it was due to a seal your pressure wouldn't come back up cause you'd have no oil. Since it seems to be dependent on engine RPM, I'd guess pump.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:21 PM
delphinos

had similar problem. oil gauge went to zero whenver I came to a stop, or on a sharp curve. Check your oil level. I had lost 4 quarts over two months, so it finally triggered the gauge. found out that I was leaking oil into the intake manifold. shoudl have known! oil consumption + no visible leak+ spark/knock = infamous dodge defect of intake manifold plenum. I have 99 dodge ram. had same problem at 40k miles. Now at 84k, I have same problem and Dodge won't pay this time. ITs costing me $800 to fix. there is a tsb on this, so that's how I got them to pay first time (TSB 09-05-00). not sure if this is your problem, but check it out. you can see the tsb at..
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm

Old 12-13-2004, 02:22 AM
casper
Legend

If there is a TSB, they should pay again, just cause they fixed it once and didn't do it right doesn't mean that they don't have to do it again.

Quick Reply: Engine loses oil pressure at idle