General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Recording Knock

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:49 AM
injmopar
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recording Knock

If the tops of the cylinders were not beveled to break the edge,it could cause knock. A clean shave on the block will produce a sharp edge at the top of the bore. But if the knock senser was at o volts,maybe the ECM is retarding the timing on it's own.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:13 AM
ssheen

The top of the block was shaved. I do not recall if they were bevelled or not.

With the volts at 0 and the ECM retarding the timing on its own, you think that may indicate a problem with the ECM or the ECM is gathering info from some other sensors and using that as well?

Old 12-16-2004, 12:24 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ssheen

The top of the block was shaved. I do not recall if they were bevelled or not.

With the volts at 0 and the ECM retarding the timing on its own, you think that may indicate a problem with the ECM or the ECM is gathering info from some other sensors and using that as well?
If you got the pistons in without breaking any rings, the bores were probably chamfered. Any machine shop worth a damn would do this.

MIL = Malfunction Indicator Lamp. Almost any vehicle on the road will constantly sense and log a knock condition. If there are enough events the ECM will illuminate the MIL. If the MIL isn't illuminated, don't worry about it, unless you can really hear it with your ears and it is disturbing.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:24 PM
ssheen

My MIL does not light up on Knock, that would require a custom cal. I only know I have knock retard from my datalogging software which gets its info from an OTC 4000e scanner. Since I already have done 2 rebuilds in 2 years, I am trying to error on the side of caution before I start throwing more boost at it.

The knock sensor I have is a new unit twice replaced already.

Quick Reply: Recording Knock