General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS Wheel Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 PM
RedRam05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Wheel Sensors

What type ABS wheel sensor (magneto-resistive or variable reluctance) is used on the front wheels of the 2005 Dodge Ramhemi truck? TIA

Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ABS Wheel Sensors

The Wheel Speed Sensor consists of a magnet surrounded by windings from a single strand of wire . The sensor sends a small AC signal to the ABM. This signal is generated by magnetic induction. The magnetic induction is created when a toothed sensor ring (exciter ring or tone wheel) passes the stationary magnetic WSS.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:28 PM
RedRam05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS Wheel Sensors

Thanks for the reply!

It is my understanding that the magnetic induction sensor such as you described is a passive device that is not very accurate until the wheel speed reaches a reasonable value (ie, 10-20 mph). This was adequate for early ABS systems , but when more sophisticated stability/tractioncontrol systems were needed, a very accurate (down to zero wheel speed) active type of magneto-resistive sensor was required. I was wondering whether any of the newer Dodge cars/trucks (such as my 2005 Ram 1500) had converted to these new wheel sensors?

Quick Reply: ABS Wheel Sensors