General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Ram with a transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Drafin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram with a transmission problem?

I just recently bought a 98 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.9L SLT with 66k. It seems though that is has a very slight hesitation under acceleration and at low speeds. It does not do it every time and seems to do it more as the truck gets warmer. There is no tell tale engine surge indicative of a slipping tranny. No clunking sound as others have mentioned in their posts. Under hard acceleration there is no problem. Normal acceleration is where the problem lies and again, it's intermittent. I'm thinking rear end but I have no idea how to tell the difference between the two.

Anyone have any ideas?

Am just better off taking it to a reputable shop now and paying someone to figure it out?

Draf

Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Drafin
Default RE: 98 Ram with a transmission problem?

Well now I'm getting the clunking sound that others have mentioned.... I just ogtta search out the post that told what it was.

Drafin

Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran
Default RE: 98 Ram with a transmission problem?

if its clunking, your driveshaft U-joints could be going bad. I have a hell of a clunk in mine so I am assuming I have both U-joints to replace here b4 winter. Check your transmission fluid level too. Low fluid level in the rear & front diffs will amplify the gear to gearclunk noise also.

Excessive play in the U-joints and rear ring gear will make it seem like the trans is outta sink so if the u-joints look old n unchanged replace them!

Quick Reply: 98 Ram with a transmission problem?