General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

V8 driveline questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 02:39 AM
aircruiser
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V8 driveline questions

first off, i dont know if i introduced myself. ive been on here back when i was looking for what vehicle to get after i sold my 96 chrysler sebring. i ended up buying a 99 jeep cherokee 2 door with 201k on it. mileage didnt really bother me since, well, its a jeep. and it had records since day one. lots of religous maintenance, didnt burn any oil or coolant and still doesnt. still runs fine with no problems. however, ive had this idea in the back of my headto do either a stroker or go all out and do a 5.2 or 5.9 swap. i know the grand cherokees came stock with them, but id like to do somethingdifferent. this isnt a thread to see if anyone has doneit or how to do it, im just curious ifany of the fuel injected V8s came with a reliable manual transmission.

right now my cherokee has an AX-15 5 speed which is a strong tranny. again, just an idea. more than likely i mightjust throw ina stroker next year because ive got an advanced auto class but im still just wondering.

thanks

Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V8 driveline questions

moe in wichita ks
i have done a few swaps, 392 chrysler in a 59 plymouth, 440 in chrysler bodys, chrysler 440 into a 1970 1 ton crew cab. not knowing the model you are working with, heres what ill say. keep coustom fabracation to minium, if the factory put that engine in that body use the same parts they did. arm your self with as much info as you can ie make lot of trips to salavge yards with a tape measure and note pad. remember parts like oil pans, ext man, throttle cables, rad hoses, all engine brackets, engine mounts must fit the engine as well as the frame. example: a motor braket for 360 in a 1/2 ton is different that a 360 in a one ton, the one ton frame is wider so the breket is taller, allso a throttle cable for a two barrel is shorter that a four barrel, so dont try to put it on a four barrel, it will bind. dont use cad plated bolts on ext system, but DO put anti- seize compund on bolt threads and under the head of the bolt, dont overtighten ext bolts the first time they go in, retighten them after a few days, then again in a few days. double check everything.

Quick Reply: V8 driveline questions