General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Paint With spots

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:58 PM
GotHemi?
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint With spots

I noticed tiny little rust spots ALL over my silver '04 1500 pick up this winter. Needless to say I freaked a little and went to the dealer. He had an identical truck to mine in the shop with a porter cleaning the same thing off someone elses silver Ram. The dealer told me this is normal and the rust spots are on the surface, I watched the porter clean them off a small spot on my truck with the clay. Is this clay safe for "fallout" removal? I have heard that it takes the wax off also, right down to the clear coat, true? That is why I am waiting til it warms up here in Illinois so I can wax my truck right after I clay it. Anyone else had this problem? Will this happen EVERY year? Is it my brake dust causing it or is it everyone elses? Thanks a lot.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:33 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Paint With spots

Sorry guy, i have no idea what is causing that spotting, but the clay rocks for removing stuff on the surface of the paint. Sounds like you have the right idea.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:31 AM
casper
Legend

Yeah the are compounding the clear coat. They should re-wax the truck when their done.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Are you talking about using a clay bar. It's sort of like silly putty but in clay form. It's good stuff ,but it will take you forever on a pick up truck.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:25 PM
GotHemi?
Professional

Thank guys, I am going to be claying my truck myself. the dealer offered to do it for me...for about $175.00. Yeah right I got more time than money. It will take about 4-6 hours is what I am guessing. I got some McGuires clay for ten bucks at the auto show. It retails foe about $16.00 usually. I am just glad it's not a paint defect.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:09 AM
b_salgado

For what it's worth, I use Detail clay on a regular basis. I have an 02 Durango R/T that is black and a 97 Red Eddie Bauer Expedition. I can clay either one of them in under 1 1/2 hrs. If you have maintained your paint even half way then the clay process won't take you that long to do. It is true that the clay removes any and all wax from your ride so be sure to reapply a good caot when your done. I usually clay the entire vehicle and leave the milky residue on it. Then I come back over the entire vehicle with Meguires Gold class and buff out until buttery smooth. You will be amazed at how well the clay bar cleans. Just be sure to turn it frequently.... turn it inside out and then re- flatten it. You will actually be able to feel it taking off the surface contamination. Just one more tip... DON'T DROP THE CLAY! If you do, throw it away immediately. It will get contaminated and scratch the hell out of your ride! I have seen cars that people have dropped the bar and kept going... it's not a pretty site! Take your time and use plenty of detail spray with it. The end results are well worth it!

Quick Reply: New Paint With spots