General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

over sized tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:00 AM
flyrodder
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over sized tires?

Hi all. I recently purchased a new 05 Dakota and it needs some mods to really feel like my own.
I needed a truck in a hurry and bought what was on the lot for what I could afford.
What I ended up with was a Club Cab 4x4 ST. It's pretty basic, even has window cranks!
Inside is a 3.7 Magnum 4 speed auto with a class IV tow package. Towing will be limitted to a small bass boat, nothing strenous.
What I really want to know is, can I put some bigger rubber under it? It currently has P245/70R16s.
I want to go taller and wider without any warranty voiding or other issues.
Somewhere it has to list axle ratios, but I can't find them.
Like I said it already has a tow package, so I assume it's on the lower side. That being the case, will a larger circumference tire actually improve my mileage and top end since I'll be covering more ground in the same revolution?
My last truck had a frame height 19" from the ground and 32" tires. I'm 6'4" so the height was comfortable. Now I feel like I'm getting in and out of a car . I want to lift, but don't want to void a brand new warranty and can't afford to have a dealer approved lift installed.
Never the less, this factory tire/wheel combo has got to go!
Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, B.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: over sized tires?

The gear ratio should be on the sticker, if not, look in the glove box. On the Rams they put a sticker there with all the vitals. The ratio is on the axle somewhere.

I wouldn't think of putting rims and tires on truck would void the warranty.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Danko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: over sized tires?

You do not need to know your axle ratio. How does it drive/feel? In your final gear, is it lugging at a low rpm or turning too many rpm's? That will tell you what you need to do. I have no clue where this void your warranty by changing tires crap came from but I suggest you consider going to much bigger tires on the rear using stock rims. I had a Dakota and using stock rims, I put 225/60 x 15's on front and 325/60 x 15's on rear. That worked WELL for me. www.tirerack.com has a LOT of info. Skip giving them info about your truck and go right to the tire section and start plugging in sizes you are considering. Then click on "specs" and you will see a lot of good info including diameter, etc. I believe in filling the wheelwells with rubber and if you saw what is on my driveway you would believe that. One other benefit of wider and taller tires - wheel protection.

Quick Reply: over sized tires?