General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Headlights and interior lights flickering

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005 | 12:03 PM
beckis durango
Default Headlights and interior lights flickering

Hi everyone. I am new to the dodge tuck forum and am new to owning a dodge vehicle as well.

I have been numerous issue with my dodge durango since I bought it. I don't hate it, I actually love it, but I bought used so who knew what I was getting into. I have a dodge durango 2001, fully loaded, RT 5.9. It is one of hte most spacious nice riding trucks I've owned.

Coming home yesterday I ran into a problem wiht my headlights. A cop pulled me over at a stop sign thinking I was tryiing to get his attention for some reason. Whe he got out of his car to talk to me he stated my headlights were flashing on and off (not high beam to low beam but on and off). I could not see this from the inside of my car and could not hear the clicking noise it was making due to the radio being so loud.

At that point to be safe he wanted to see my drivers license nad registration so I turned my dome light on. Wiht my car still running the dome light and all other interior lights started flashing also! There was no beat or synchranization to the flickering at all either.

The cop told me I should probably go directly home sinnce it was getting dark outside so I did. when I got home we checked the wiring, make sure no buttons were stuck, the high beam was not stuck, made sure htat no fuses were out of place or loose and it would still do it. It would also do it while hte car was shut off. There was also so much wiring in the car that we could not possibly tell what it was for.

If anyone has any ideas on what to check I would greatly appreciate it.! I really don't want to have to take my car to the dodge dealershipthis time to get it fixed!

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2005 | 03:03 PM
wildthing4870
Rookie
Default RE: Headlights and interior lights flickering

If the headlights where pulsing to the beat of your music it is a switch that you can buy to make it do that. I am assuming you have a fat system though. As for interior lights the person that owned it before probablly hacked into some wire that came loose and is now touching something else. But the headlights it should be a lil switch right next to the light. If not and you just have stock wires you have quit a problem.

Old 05-07-2005 | 08:12 PM
Leonard
Veteran

I had a similar issue with my old truck (non-Mopar) and the headlights would go off intermittantly.
I spent plenty of time trying to find a short somewhere.

When I gave up on it and took it to a shop they would not even take the keys from me after I told them what it was doing.
He said to change the dimmer switch and 5 minutes and $5 later it was solved.

It could also be the headlight switch.

Old 05-31-2005 | 04:52 PM
greenmachine
All Star

Dodge has a recall out for the dimmer switch for some vehicles. The wiring is routed wrong and causes a short. Had to have it fixed on my '01 Sebring. Go to www.alldata.com to check for recalls and bulletins.

Quick Reply: Headlights and interior lights flickering