General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lifting truck Qs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:08 PM
BLee85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting truck Qs

Didn't see a specific suspension forum so I guess this is the best place to ask....

How do lifted trucks handle? Obviously the higher center of gravity will lower the handling ability, but will the heavier duty components compensate or will it inevitably still handle worse compared to stock? Of course im not going to drive it around like a sprots car but what about times when evasive maneuvers are needed on the highway when trying to avioid something/someone? The higher ride height will help you see obstructions ahead of time, but may not always the case.

Thanks for any responses.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lifting truck Qs

The couple I've been in really didn't handle very good IMO. Maybe some of these true offroad guys have a different opinion.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:44 AM
flyrodder
Amateur

I've lifted two of my trucks in the past.
1-80K5 Blazer, 6"suspension lift, tall thin tires(to cut thru the mud) After lifting, the truck was always a little squirrely driving mostly due to the long side walls on the tires. The rubber had to twist before the tread came around. Had to make an evasive manuever in the winter. Took the truck sideways, then layed it on it's side.
2-92 Toyota P/U, 4" suspension lift, 32x11.5 tires. Went 150,000 before it needed an alignment!!!!! Tracked straight as an arrow down the road, but even the long turns on the highway needed a reduction in speed. The frame sat 19" off the ground. Can you say top heavy?
I guess it largely depends on the weight of the vehicle as well. A heavier truck is harder to tip. If you're going higher, definately look at going wider as well. A good quality lift kit (mainly meaning suspension, not body) is a good solid extension of your stock suspension distances. A body lift is nothing more than spacers between your body mounts and the frame. Factory handling respones will not change, but you always increase your chances of landing on your side.
If Off the Road handling is the issue, a lift is a God send. On the road occassionally requires a little prayer.
In time my 05 Dakota WILL recieve a lift, but I for one don't believe a truck should handle like a car anyways.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:23 AM
uhsvs12

Only thing different in handling of my truck is that of course its very top heavy and could roll easily if not paying attention in a turn, and the wind can be a big bitch on the interstate. Other than that the ride is smooth and true.

Quick Reply: Lifting truck Qs