General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Too Much Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Bill Y.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Much Oil?

Has anyone had this happen? I have an 04 Dakota 3.7 with 20,000 miles. Got it with about 16,000, changed the oil shortly thereafter (5w30 synthetic), and am about ready to change it again. I've been checking it regularly and the level as stayed at full mark. After a weekend sitting in the carport (didn't need to go anywhere) I checked it again before leaving for work Monday morning. Level was about 1/2 qt HIGH. First thing that came to mind was water in the oil pan. I barely cracked open the drain plug to see if any water would come out. None. Just oil. I drove to work, parked it for my 8 hours of work, and checked it again before leaving for home. Right at the full mark. Has anyone had this happen. With all the cars/trucks I have owned over the years, I've never seen it. Usually all the oil that is going to drain down will do so in a few hours at most.
Bill

Old 06-21-2005, 07:31 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Too Much Oil?

maybe it expanded from cooling alot, like not being driven for the weekend?

Old 06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you were parked on an incline.

I wouldnt worry about it

Old 06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
moparturd
Banned

A half qt. high isn't going to hurt a thing. There will just be more oil in the pan for the crank to run through, but i gotta agree on the incline comment.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Bill Y.

Carport is level (or close enough).
Not real worried about it. Its a curiosity that after 8 hours of sitting, the level is normal but after 24-48 hours I have a extra 1/2 qt. If I let it sit another 48 would I get another 1/2 qt, and another, and another... Hey I've struck oil !
I do know that if the oil level gets too high, the rotating crank can whip air into it and cause oil pump and lubrication problems. Don't think 1/2 qt is enough to cause that.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like to me your oil filter does not have a check valve in it or a bad one and is slowly leaking back into the oil pan. Replace your oil filter with one that you are sure on the package it is listed. I like to use Fram Tough-Gaurd. It has great filtering microns.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Bill Y.

Hum? Good theory. But, the filter on this engine hangs almost straight down at the left front of the engine (see: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/37.html).
Bill

Old 06-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Drew
Professional

realy, if the oil is not too high while the engine is running there isnt too much of a problem. yes, the crank may be splashing through the oil at first, but soon just due to the flow it will bring the level down where the crank isnt slapping the oil.

since Bill bought it used the previous owner did yes check the oil, but was doing it the wrong way. I would say they were checking it when they filled up the fuel tank. pulled the dipstick and noticed the level was below the F mark on the dipstick, yet it was still in the cross-section. dumped in oil to bring the level up and went on their way not realizing the oil pan was overfilled.

when he changes the oil and tosses in 5 quarts or what ever it takes everything will be fine.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Bill Y.

I changed the oil and filter as soon as I got it putting in exactly 4 quarts as specified. At that time, it was at the full mark on the dipstick and reading has not changed until the overfull reading I got last Sunday. As I said above, I'm not convinced there is a problem but It sure is curious how that high reading happened. I'm going to watch it close to see if it happens again.
Bill

Old 06-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Drew
Professional

I misread your post. . .sorry, dislexia kicking in again[&:]

would be interesting to see how much oil you pull out when you dump it in the future