General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Imploding Window

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:42 AM
CoachG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imploding Window

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota and had a crazy thing happen today. I was driving West on I-90 in South Dakota going about 75, when the driver's side window imploded. It showered me with glass. The traffic was light (It is South Dakota) and nobody passed me and I do not believe anything hit the vehicle. Has this happened to anyone else or has anyone else heard of this happening.? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 AM
rr66
Default RE: Imploding Window

was your other side (passenger side) window up or down ??

Old 07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
CoachG

The passenger windown was up.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:15 PM
TBNorge
Amateur

Sounds like it could be someone with a pellet or BB gun having fun.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:16 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

i bought one of those today, but it wasn't me. that is the most logical explanation though

Old 07-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Truckin_Tom
Professional

I'm leaning more toward a rock spun up off the road, especially if you were behind traffic.. (Doesn't have to be immediately behind 'em either.) Check your driver side mirror bracket for signs.. Maybe a scuff mark where the rock glanced off of it.. I'm a long-haul truck driver and I've lost two windows to this scenario.. Don't even get me started on windshields.. [sm=escape.gif]

Old 08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I saw this message and had to reply to it. Last year (Aug 04), the ex-GF, her 4 kids, and I, were traveling from Ely NV West on Hwy 50 and doing about 75. We were about 15 miles west of Eureka NV when my door window exploded. Fortunately, I was able to pull over without any further incident, and once I cleaned out my drawers (figuratively speaking) she and I were able to analyze the situation.

My first thought was temperature and pressure related. Windows were up and it was warm out. But that really didn't make much sense. Then we looked at where we were at. The NDOT was chip sealing the highway and there were many millions of those little itty bitty pebbles on newly laid down tar. About 1 or 2 seconds after passing another vehicle, is when my window shattered. Must of have been a pebble thrown by the other vehicle.

I have to agree with the trucker and call this one of those one in a million or billion shots.

Now, reading this, I wonder why the manufacturers and/or glass companies don't make those door windows like the front windshield. SHATTERPROOF!! Those little crushed ice glass pieces get everywhere and sting too! I'm still picking that crap out the truck after a year.

98 Dodge Ram 1500

[IMG]local://upfiles/12623/3525C4EA2F4F4C519DEB58E77254E9AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2005, 06:52 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

i really dont think it was a BB/pellet gun they dont really shatter glass, they more put a ***** in it or crack it, depending on hor think it is

dont ask how i know[sm=devilangel.gif]

Old 08-26-2005, 02:11 AM
s22479a

Years ago all the windows in a vehicle were made like a windshield. That practice was dropped with the introduction of tempered saftey glass. First, tempered glass will survive an impact much better than other types. Second, if you have ever experienced a collision with a windshield with your body, you undoubtedly have had either severe lacerations or at the minimum, have had to pull glass slivers from your skin. Not a pretty sight. The main advantage of saftey glass, from a saftey standpoint, is that when it shatters into a million small pieces there is little danger of major, deep cuts. This is more of a concern during an accident than just a broken window from a rock (or a bb gun as the case may be). I know some "advancements" in automotive technology seem to be more of a regression but this is one to be glad we have. (I speak from experience) Mike

Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

i have seen a 300m with a rear window that popped out for no apparent reason.

Quick Reply: Imploding Window