General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

persistent overheating.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Dodgerzzgal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default persistent overheating.. help!

I already replaced my head gasket 2 times for my 01 Neon, and this last time I installed a new cylinder head. I started having overheating problems at just 30,000 miles. Does the usually cold wheather has an effect on this? I already replaced the temperature sensor, position sensor, O2 sensor, air filter but still to no avail.

I want to replace the cylinder head, radiator cap and support, and 4 cyl condenser please help me to find budget friendly shop as I am already having financial trouble with all the parts replacements.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:37 AM
s22479a
Default RE: persistent overheating.. help!

When you replaced the head/headgaskets did you check any of the cooling system for the cause of the origional failure? The neon waterpumps are usually very reliable and have a small failure rate however the thermostat design could have been better. We see an occasional failure with those. The fans also have a tendency to work intermittently and because the engine controller does not monitor fan relay output ,only relay low-side, it will not show a DTC for fan failure. Another place to look is for cold spots in the radiator. A partial blockage can cause an elevated operating temperature without being severe enough to peg the needle. If this lasts long enough gasket failure and/or head damage can result. I hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:56 AM
kev_stratus

We suggest that you first put a 50 to 50 mix of water to coolant in your radiator and then check to make sure the radiator fan is working properly. Go check this out: (Auto Parts Discount)

Condenser
you can check this, now is the righ time to buy one it's half the original price.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Dodgerzzgal

Hey guys! after a few days of agonizing repairs and replacements I'm back to the good 'ol fast and fearless driving , thanks for all the help, it really saved me from further headaches!

Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM
NCAD

So what did you fix?

Quick Reply: persistent overheating.. help!