General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

many questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 AM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default many questions

Why change the thermostat to 180deg.? Is hi-perf filter as good as complete cold air system and which is best brand in each catagory? Can hotter plugs be better for fuel mileage? What can be achieved with programmer module and is it worth buying one for regular truck use? If not, when going to garage is there something I should say to tech to do with programming to get better performance?

Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 AM
thump186
Record Breaker
Default RE: many questions

a 180 thermostat is going to help keep your motor a tad cooler. a cool motor is a happy one. a cold air system is going to be placed where it can pick up the coolest air possoble as where a high perf. filter is just replacing the stock one trying to get better flow. the problem with that is its still using the stock intake while being a tad better it is still limited to the stock intake flow. power programers are pretty simple to use you just need to follow the directions with it. power gains from it have been varied as far as i have read but in general the owners have seen good results. when dodge designed thier cars and trucks they design them for good power and fuel mileage not for the best power. what a programmer does is alters the settings in the ecu system to allow you to get the most out of your car or truck.

here is a brief article on plugs

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_m...g_spark_plugs/

Old 08-22-2005, 02:37 PM
drjgarage
Professional
Default RE: many questions

I thought the hotter an engine runs the more efficeintly? Better fuel atomization.

Quick Reply: many questions