General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Window SCREEEEECH

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:38 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window SCREEEEECH

Ive got power windows on my 96 strat. They all work, but the right front window makes a terrible screeching noise as the window goes up. The window only makes this noise when going up and only when the window is lowered more than halfway. It sounds like bad chalk rubbing on a blackboard. And its LOUD. The window goes up and down normally, there are no scratches on the glass that I can see. What could this be? Could it need some oil? Anyone have this problem with their windows?

Old 08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Window SCREEEEECH

sounds like the regulator could use some grease. then after you do that window you'll be amazed how much better that one works and grease up the rest

Old 08-30-2005, 09:24 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

Thanks, but how exactly do I go about greasing up the regulator? (First car, I dont know anything)[sm=huh.gif]

Old 08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing I ever did with my little yoda was get a haynes manual. it will tell you everything about your car and how to fix it.

second, this will involve pulling the door panel off to acess the workings of the window regulator

here is a pic to give you an idea of what your looking for, the best way to do it would be to get some white lithium grease and spray it on any part that moves against something else.

Old 08-31-2005, 06:36 PM
PARoadRunner
Professional

k, I will have to try that this weekend or next. It definately sounds like its the window itself thats making the screech noise somehow, but I could be wrong. Will I need glue to reattach the door panel?

Quick Reply: Window SCREEEEECH