General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Still having starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Dodge Lover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having starting problems

Hello everyone!! I am still having problems with my 1993 Dodge Shadow with a 2.2 engine. If anyone can help me get this car running, I will appreciate it very MUCH!! Here is the deal, I do not have spark, and I do not have power to the O2 sensor, the carb, the fuel pump, the ingition coil but the engine cranks over. I have a Chilton repair manual and it says if the engine computer does not receive a signal with the engine cranking within one second, it engages the shut down relay, which would turn the power off the all of the mentioned above. Could the engine computer be bad???? How often does something like this go bad?? The engine computer is about a $300.00 part, so I just don't want to start throwing parts at it. I have not found any burnt fusible links or any bad wiring that would cause a problem. If anyone has come across this problem before, I would appreciate any help to fix this car. Thanks again!!!!

Old 09-02-2005, 03:02 AM
s22479a
Default RE: Still having starting problems

On initial key-on (not cranking) does the fuel pump run for a second? If so then I'd guess a pick-up plate failure. This is the black plate under the rotor in the dist. I'll asume you have checked for a broken timing belt already. Mike

Old 09-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Dodge Lover
Default RE: Still having starting problems

The timing belt is good. Also, the fuel pump does not come on at all. I crawled under the car to double check with someone turning the key, and there is nothing. I checked the wires as best as I could and and nothing at all. Thanks for the reply and hopefully I can get this car going.

Quick Reply: Still having starting problems