General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Spark, Code 11

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:32 AM
s4phillips
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark, Code 11

1990 Caravan, 3.3L No spark and code 11.

New aftermarket camshaft sensor, two new aftermarket crankshaft sensors, new OE auto shut down relay, new aftermarket coil, new wires and plugs, new OE SBEC controller. First, sympton was it wouldn't start on first couple of cranks, then one day it wouldn't start - no spark. Replaced the crank sensor and it ran fine for a couple of weeks before it started dying after 2 to 20 miles of driving, it would restart after setting for half-hour or longer – now won’t start and no spark. Then started replacing all the other stuff.

8.9 volts to orange wire of both cam and crank sensor.
Black/light blue wire has continuity to ground, with no resistance, at each sensor.
5.8 volts from third lead of each sensor when cranking.
Continuity from each sensor connector to pin that plugs into the SBEC.
40 psi fuel pressure

Don’t know what to check next. …other than buying new OE cam and crank sensors. The instructions that cam with the Mopar reman SBEC mention "some aftermarket pick-ups have not worked properly with Mopar engine controlers. It had aftermarket pick-ups for the last couple of years...

Any ideas?

Old 10-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: No Spark, Code 11

Did you check the connector at the SBEC for loose terminals or corrosion? Also check the 3 pin connectors for spread female terminals or pushed out pins,etc.
How bout continuity on the wires from both sensors to the SBEC?
Battery voltage up at 12 volts and cables squeeky clean and tight?
Could also try a "wiggle" test on the wiring harnesses near the sensors you replaced and SBEC while someone else cranks the engine.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:10 AM
s4phillips

Thanks for the tips. I did find a bad 10-pin connection box about ten minutes after I installed the new SBEC. It was the 10-pin connector that feeds the crank sensor. It was hidden underneath the driver’s side engine mount and I couldn't see it from the top. Looked like it probably had a bath of brake fluid at least one time in it’s life. But it wouldn’t fire even after it was cleaned and the connections were checked for resistance. All the 3-pin connectors were good along with the SBEC connector.

So, put new OE cam and crank sensors in – fired right up. Don’t know if the new aftermarket sensor(s) might have been damaged by the poor connection in the 10-pin. …at this point don’t care, it runs.

Again, thanks for the help.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Chump
Captain

ORIGINAL: s4phillips

Thanks for the tips. I did find a bad 10-pin connection box about ten minutes after I installed the new SBEC. It was the 10-pin connector that feeds the crank sensor. It was hidden underneath the driver’s side engine mount and I couldn't see it from the top. Looked like it probably had a bath of brake fluid at least one time in it’s life. But it wouldn’t fire even after it was cleaned and the connections were checked for resistance. All the 3-pin connectors were good along with the SBEC connector.

So, put new OE cam and crank sensors in – fired right up. Don’t know if the new aftermarket sensor(s) might have been damaged by the poor connection in the 10-pin. …at this point don’t care, it runs.

Again, thanks for the help.
Thx for getting back to us. I'll keep that one in my spare "wierd fix" file.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: No Spark, Code 11