General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

lighter flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 PM
littlred truck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lighter flywheel

a friend of mine suggested a install a lighter flywheel into my truck (full size 4x4) he said i will get more power to the back wheels. talked to a few other mechanics and 4x4 shops, they said i will lose lower end torque. any suggestions or history btw my friend usually is involved with smaller jap engines

Old 09-30-2005, 08:54 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: lighter flywheel

well, every bit of weight that you can remove from the driveline requires that much less effort to move the vehicle. Think about it this way...say that you coated your wheels and tires in a layer of concrete, thus significantly increasing the amount of mass that your engine has to turn, in order to move the vehicle...however, there are much better ways to free up power to the wheels, and lightweight race clutches are very expensive...i suppose that if your clutch was going bad, it would be worth a shot since youre changinig it anyway, but for the VERY minor amount of weigh that you would cut from the driveline,i dont think that it would even make a noticable difference.

A light weight clutch assembly is no different, although ive never heard of losing low end power because of a lighter clutch...i honestly dont think that is true, as the "jap engines", as you so eloquently put it, have so little torque to begin with, i dont think that they would perform a mod that would sacrifice even more.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 PM
injmopar
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lighter flywheel

Lighter flywheels are for drag racing.It does't give you more power. The weight of the flywheel is stored energy. It's finding the mid piont where it's light so it revs up fast, but is heavy anough to launch and shift hard.The small ingine cars use a lighter flywheel because they can buss it to 8000 to get the energy they need on the shift piont.

Quick Reply: lighter flywheel