General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Inverter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:56 PM
pvr02
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Inverter

I want to put a power inverter into my car. I frequently need to power my phones, pda's, or even my laptop. Has anyone here installed one? I know I need to run a cable from the engine compartment battery into the car through the firewall. I'm looking for information as far as hole locations or mounting locations for the inverter.

I would like to keep it as descrete as possible, but keep the plugs (or at least 1) easily accessible by the drive.

FYI: It is a 600 watt 1200 peak inverter.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:38 AM
kdh97602
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Inverter

i have a ghetto way, but it makes for a trustworthy installation (i've done 3 this way). find a spot in the engine compartment to mount the inverter. near the battery is the best (shorter power lines) also use an in-line fuse (like for a aftermarket amp) to protect the batt. if the inverter uses a common plug (like a house plug) just get a heavy duty extention cord (preferablly in black) and run it to ware ever you want. most inverters wire their plugs together, so if there are 2+ plugs, it means that they all share the same powersource and pluging in to only one will not hurt the inverter. also route the extention cord away from car speaker wires, or you will get cross talk and that results in a hiss all the time (even when the radio is off) from your speakers.

as far as your intreped, i don't know the layout so your on your own there.

Quick Reply: Power Inverter