General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

who's using synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005 | 09:16 PM
drjgarage
|
Professional
Default who's using synthetic

Who's using synthetic oils in everything and how did the change over go? What did you use??? Any difference????[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 11-13-2005 | 01:17 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Default RE: who's using synthetic

I have run synthetics in my 5.9 since mid 96, trans & diff since mid 98. Swapped the diff back to regular oil 3yrs ago when I upgraded from the suregrip to the Auburn HP LSD. It recommends regular oil.

In all three, I noticed better mileage and a slight drop in ets at the dragstrip. Tends to run a bit cooler. I mainly use Mobil 1 in the engine. I have Amsoil in the trans currently but probably wont put it back in next change after reading a couple studies.

Old 11-14-2005 | 02:23 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The owner's manual for the Dodge SRT-4 recommends syn oil, so I've used it from the begining. I've used both Mobil 1 and Amsoil in the engine and Mobil 1 tends to run a little bit cooler, but other than that they are about the same in performance. Chemistry wise they are totally different, but both formulations live up to their hype......I'll probably buy Mobil 1 more since Wally World sells it in 5 quart jugs......just right for a SRT-4!!

Oil is the "blood" of your engine, use the best!!!

Dusty

P.S. I forgot to mention that Amsoil has been shown to thicken to a higher weight oil if used to the mileage they claim it's effective to....if you want a good oil information link, e-mail me and I'll send it to you.....

Old 11-14-2005 | 03:53 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

In view of the several e-mails I've gotten on the above remarks, here's the link to the long-term synthetic oil tests.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

This should save everyone some time!!!

Dusty

Old 11-14-2005 | 05:50 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Thats the study I was refering to as well and the reason why Im removing the Amsoil early

Old 11-14-2005 | 08:17 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I'm leaving mine in for the 3 month/3,000 mile regular oil change time since the oil thickening with Amsoil didn't happen until several thousand miles later. But considering Mobil 1 is also cheaper than Amsoil, I'll just play it safe and use Mobil 1 from now on.....[&:]

Dusty

Old 11-15-2005 | 12:28 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

I ran redline oil for a while and then decided to switch back to mobil1 ep with a 4000 mi oci. Mobil1 is a great oil for the price. Another good site if anyone wants some info is www.bobistheoilguy.com

Old 11-15-2005 | 01:39 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Yup, I visit that website often as well, but I'm not a member. The title is a bit misleading since they tend to cover not only oil, but oil additives, gasoline, gasoline additives, etc. IMO they pick too many fights with each other, but you can glean some good info from some of the posts. They don't really get into DCX products or maintenance issues, so I still consider DF my "home".

Dusty

Old 11-15-2005 | 02:01 AM
stormer426
Professional

I tend to use Red-Line race oils in most clients cars, Mobil 1 in street cars and good ol'd 15w40 dinosaur in 8.0 pickem up truck.

Best Red-Line example drum roll please, Laguna Seca raceway Monterey, CA. July of 2004 GT-2 Pontiac Fiero (go ahead laugh) 330 HP 2.5 Iron Duke (not laughing now) nice fresh engine ran dyno brake in with Kendall Race 40W, test day thursday changed filter and switched to Red-Line Race 40W mid day before Quailifying for Saturday race on Friday did the 30 minute Qualifier, post race inspection and another oil filter change top off the dry sump tank and put it to bed. Saturday morning 30 minute Qualifier for Sunday race, went thru impound inspections, fueled pre race checks and out to the grid for Saturday race, two laps before the green flag was thrown and on the first lap cluster of smokeywhifferdills in the GT-1 ranks put a bunch of crap on the course, my driver got through the fracas and was just on it but good Laguna seca is up hill from entrance of turn five thru turn 8 top (the corkscrew) then downhill thru9,10, flat to 11, 90 left degree turn onto the front straight this car goes 139 at the braking panels just under the bridge for turn one, 1/2 way down straight car starts laying down a bit drivers driving, and makes it back through turns 2,3,4, and notices passing the sound booth at turn 5 it seems down on power getting the blackflag at turn 7 car is still losing power he is still going, comes into impound area off of turn 9 car smoking, steaming (so's he) I get there dude whats up oh it's hot as hell and just wasn't pulling and they black flagged me at 8, turns out debris from first lap fracus removed the drive belt from the crank to the water pump which drives the dry sump pump can you say diasater! it still drove back to the pits. I do not think any other oil would have allowed this at all. I also use water wetter.

Old 11-15-2005 | 09:39 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

Yup, I visit that website often as well, but I'm not a member. The title is a bit misleading since they tend to cover not only oil, but oil additives, gasoline, gasoline additives, etc. IMO they pick too many fights with each other, but you can glean some good info from some of the posts. They don't really get into DCX products or maintenance issues, so I still consider DF my "home".

Dusty
DF will always be my home to. There is a vast amount of knowledge about oil,coolant, ect.. over there. I'd love to bring all that knowledge here but it would take alot of room....lol

Quick Reply: who's using synthetic