General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

synthetic oil besides for engine, come on someone!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:46 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: does anyone use synthetic oil besides for engine

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

ORIGINAL: drjgarage

[sm=alcoholic.gif] OK ....who has used or is using synt. oil in systems other than the engine and how hard was it to change? Any good results???[sm=deadhorse.gif]

I'Ve already explained this topic in Durango 1st Gen. Use the search engine. This is a quote from me to other users on this subject:[sm=boink3.gif]

I like to use Fram Tuff Gaurd because it has 98% and 99% filtering capability's @ 20 micron's and they have a check valve.

NOW go buy Mobil one Fully Synthetic, throw it into your truck, with a great filter, and tell me you don't hear a difference right away on start up, cold start up, power, fuel milage, and just plain kick a@@ sound![sm=gears.gif]

You can do better than the Fram Tuff Guard. If you want to stick with Fram go with the Fram HP Series that trap particles as small as 15 microns. Even better, go with a K&N Performance Gold oil filter that will filter down to 10 microns and provide over 550 psi hydrostatic burst strength vs. 500 psi for the Fram HP2.

For any clean oil freaks out there you can also add a Filtermag which has Neodymium magnets that trap particles as small as 2 microns....just snap it onto the outside of the oil filter housing, no tools required.

Dusty

Old 01-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Chump
Captain

I use 100% synthetic Amsoil in engine, tranny, transfer case and front and rear diffs. I stay away from any Fram filters and use NAPA Gold or Wix filters. Everything works so smooth especially when the temp gets down to zero. the only thing you don't want is any leaks, seal everything up good.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't say that Fram is the best. Just take a good look at what your buying.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
BigE
Veteran

I have also used Mobil 1 engine oil for a long time. I started using it at 1000 miles in my 2003 Dakota R/T (360cid) and had to change the oil every 5000 miles. The oil smelled burned and looked very dark by 5000 miles. I won't lie, I drive very hard. I even would use two extra quarts of oil between oil changes. When I checked the oil at 3000 miles, it looked like I need to change it, but I went the extra 2000 miles anyway. Then the new Mobil 1 extended performance oil came out. I started using it and kept track when the oil 'looked' used up on the dipstick. With the extended performance oil, the oil still looked new at 4000 miles! When I changed the oil at 5000 miles, it looked almost the same as the regular Mobil 1 oil, maybe just a little lighter. This proved to me the extended performance oil is the better oil and I use it over the 'regular' Mobil 1 all the time. Don't be fooled by the new non-Mobil 1 oil in the Mobil oil lineup. Only the new Extended Performance oil is synthetic. If it doesn't say Mobil 1, (it says only Mobil) just say no.

I have also used the Mobil 1 automatic transmission fluid in my manual T-5 transmissions. The transmissions call for a Dextron III type fluid, so I used the Mobil 1 stuff and have been very happy with the shifting and cooling performance.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil besides for engine, come on someone!?!?