General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

synthetic oil besides for engine, come on someone!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:29 PM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil besides for engine, come on someone!?!?

[sm=alcoholic.gif] OK ....who has used or is using synt. oil in systems other than the engine and how hard was it to change? Any good results??? How did you change other areas????[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: synthetic oil use besides the engine

I use synthetic in my trans, it works good, lol

Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM
drjgarage
Professional
Default RE: does anyone use synthetic oil besides for engine

come everyone....someone must

Old 12-15-2005, 03:17 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7 years ago I added synthetic to my 96's motor, trans and diff. At the time I saw almost .1 in et reductions on the 1/4 mile. Engine ran a bit cooler and I suspect the trans/diff did as well though I didnt have sensors to verify at the time. (trans temp gauge now) I think my mileage increased a bit also but I have never really tracked it to be honest.
For the trans you need a pretty big pan depending on what you drive to catch the oil. It can be a bit messy and is best to unlock the bolts all the way around but only loosen/remove them from one end to get it to tilt the pan and not flood out around the whole thing. Be sure to have a new gasket and filter. Diff is easier because of the smaller cover on it. Again be sure to have the gasket and any friction modifiers that you may need to add to the oil as well.

Edit
I see none of us answered the question fully in your other post, didnt realize till after that you already asked this

Old 12-17-2005, 01:19 PM
badram1500
Veteran

I run syn. 75-90 in front and rear diff. have had good luck. Gets 30-40 below 0 up here in the winter and the truck drives away like summer time. Just remember that if you have a lsd to use the "magic juice" with any gear lube you choose

Old 12-26-2005, 07:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: drjgarage

[sm=alcoholic.gif] OK ....who has used or is using synt. oil in systems other than the engine and how hard was it to change? Any good results???[sm=deadhorse.gif]

I'Ve already explained this topic in Durango 1st Gen. Use the search engine. This is a quote from me to other users on this subject:[sm=boink3.gif]

Now let's get this right. A synthetic blended oil is no different that regular oil. Both use the same oil base. A synthetic MOBIL oil is broken down to 2 molecules. When you mix both together you get no extra protection because you are still using the regular oil base which still has not been broken down as much. You either take Full Synthetic or regular. Full Synthetic means (in MOBIL at least) it's broken down like I said to 2 molecules, so if you put in full Synthetic you get excellent protection as well as cold startup protection if you use a filter with a check valve and good filtering microns. I like to use Fram Tuff Gaurd because it has 98% and 99% filtering capability's @ 20 micron's and they have a check valve. If you use their Full Synthetic you can go 7500 miles with not much stop and go traffic, towing, or dirt roads. If you drive these conditions then you should change your Full Synthetic every 5000 miles. But as for the differences either one or the other only. The blends are just marketing crap so don't fall into them.

Just because the oil is black doesn’t mean it is bad. The oil base is fine, this is how the industry can recycle oil. The additives are what turn colors and burn as well as impurities. Additives burn more with regular oil base then with Fully Synthetic because the base breaks down the additives as it moves through the system from the small irregularity's. As the oil gets hot the molecules get bigger and faster and they break the additives down faster. This is why you can go further on Fully Synthetic. Now when you pull the oil from the crank case it is going to be dark from additive decomposition and wear particles from the motor.

You should always use the right oil weight because the right additives are blended into the oil base are for your motor and meet the manufactures conditions for the internal parts. Don't use the wrong oil. This is an old wise tale.

I've personally miked motors out with, and without, Full Synthetic with good oil change recommendations. The mike never lie's. @ 100K the Fully Synthetic motor miked out with OEM specifications for new. Regular showed much more wear. As long as you turn over the filter your buying and read the fine print on micron filtrations and buy the best, You should have No, or very very small particles left from filtration.

NOW go buy Mobil one Fully Synthetic, throw it into your truck, with a great filter, and tell me you don't hear a difference right away on start up, cold start up, power, fuel milage, and just plain kick a@@ sound![sm=gears.gif]

Old 12-28-2005, 09:35 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

Not a bad right up shocker. semi synthetic is a dino oil that can contain no more than 30% synthetic in it.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Even if you have some synthetic in the regular oil it won't matter. The regular oil will still break the good synthetic oil down. You ether use one or the other.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:40 PM
LAKOTA169
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: drjgarage

[sm=alcoholic.gif] OK ....who has used or is using synt. oil in systems other than the engine sm=deadhorse.gif]
I rub it all over my body and dance around nude in the moonlight.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 PM
drjgarage
Professional
Default RE: synthetic oil besides for engine, come on someone!?!?

I need more input

Quick Reply: synthetic oil besides for engine, come on someone!?!?