General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:07 AM
powerramw150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP

I HAVE A 1985 DODGE RAM W150 318 ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO THE MOTOR WOULD BOGG DOWN WHEN I DRIVE IT EVEN RIGHT WHEN I START IT TOOK IT TO 3 DIFFERENT SHOPS THEY TOLD ME IT WAS THIS AND THAT REPLACED THE FOLLOW ITEMS
1 FUEL PUMP
2 NEW CARB
3 FUEL LINE FROM TANK TO PUMP
4 PLUGS/CAP/ROTOR SPARK PLUGS REBUILT DIST
5 NEW COIL/ NEW IGN CONTROL MOD
EVEN UNHOCKED MY EXHAUST AND IT STILL DONE IT...NOW IT ONLY DOES IT WHEN I DRIVE IT I CAN START IT AND IT RUN FINE AT IDLE WATER FLOWING FINE BUT WHEN IT WARMS UP IT DOES IT WHERE BEFORE IT WOULD DO IT EVEN COLD CAN SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT WAY TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM

Old 12-26-2005, 08:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: NEED HELP

I had a similar problem with a different vehicle. The auto trans filter was pluged up. Changed the filter and fluid, runs like new.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:01 AM
powerramw150

thanks thats the only thing i haven't try i'll try that and see it helps....did your vehicle do it while you was driving or giving gas

Old 12-27-2005, 12:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

While I would drive I had a big lack of power, crappy gas mileage, and the motor would run hot. Basically the trans was slipping and heating up so the trans wouldn't turn like it should. I did the same things you did and couldn't figure it out. Well the trans was heating up causing the motor to heat up because it gets cooled in the same radiator and the motor is working really hard to push it. It made a huge difference and fixed the problem. Also you should have inline check valves to keep the fluid from draining back through the torque converter. You could have a stuck valve so keep that in mind. They are usually close to the radiator.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 PM
powerramw150

thanks but might not be it see my motor doesn't heat up and i have a trans cooler sper from radaitor i dont have lack of power it just boggs down and lose speed but i'm going to still try what you said i've tried everything else......my trans shift fine till i got the truck brought to where i live i notice it now when in gear take longer to move but once it moves it runs fine