General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:43 PM
blue vette
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Leak

My daughter has a 2000 Dodge Stratus, it only has 58K on it and is in excellent condition with one exception. The auto transmission leaks oil. I'm trying to help her save money so I changed the trans filter, put on a new filter and it still leaks oil. So I go out and buy a new gasket and the thing is still leaking. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

The car has a 2.4 engine with an auto transm

Old 01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
rdonald
Default RE: Transmission Leak

BV;
Just got back from the dealer with a similar service experience on 2000 Caravan. Their explanation ~ $510 and we will replace the pan seal and solenoid seal + tighten the trani to cooler hose clamps.

Good Deal wouldnt you say??

The pan seal needs to be rubber (not stock cork). Apparently they have figured that out.

I don't know how to replace the solenoid seal, so that is my quesiton.

rdonald

Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 AM
tenntech
Professional

If you're sure it is the trans pan leaking you need to remove the pan and clean both surfaces good. Find some atf rtv sealant and run a bead all the way around the mating surface of the pan and then reassemble. Make sure the trans and the pan are clean and dry before applying sealant. These transmissions came factory with a sealer, and will not properly seal using gaskets. You may also check the other two things rdonald mentioned. Shift solenoid and the cooler lines are fairly common leaks and usually the solenoid and gasket need to be replaced.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Chump
Captain

Maybe this will help, be sure to torque the bolts.

A/T Pan Gasket - Reusable Design/Installation
NUMBER: 21-05-99 Rev. A
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: Sep. 03, 1999
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-05-99 DATED MARCH 5, 1999 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTS AND MODEL COVERAGE.

SUBJECT:
Reusable Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Gasket
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin announces availability and installation of a reusable automatic transmission oil pan gasket.
MODELS:
1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron Sedan
1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon
**1989** - 1993 (AG) Daytona
**1989** - 1995 (AJ) LeBaron Coupe/LeBaron Convertible
**1989** - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Shadow Convertible/Sundance
1990 - 1991 (AQ) Chrysler Maserati TC
1989 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue
1993 - 1995 (ES) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon
1996 - **2000** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
1996 - **2000** (JX) Sebring Convertible
**1993 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/New Yorker/LHS/Vision/300M**
1996 - **2000** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
**1995 - 2000 (PL) Neon**
**1997 - 2000 (PR) Prowler**

DISCUSSION:
A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured RTV it is recommended that this gasket be used in all applications.

NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES.

PARTS REQUIRED:
**1 05011113AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 31TH**
**1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE**
1 05011115AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 41TE/AE

Installation Procedure
1. With oil pan removed from transmission case for routine service or transmission repair proceed to step # 2.
2. Clean any residue from oil pan and magnet.
3. Replace O-ring and filter on bottom of valve body.
4. Using a plastic or wooden scraper, remove old RTV from transmission case rails.
CAUTION: ALUMINUM COMPONENTS ARE VERY SUSCEPTABLE TO METAL TRANSFER WHEN OLD GASKET MATERIAL IS REMOVED FROM THEM. USE EXTREME CARE WHEN CLEANING THESE COMPONENTS.
5. Apply thin coat of transmission fluid to oil pan and transmission case pan rails.
6. Orient reusable gasket properly with bolt holes and assemble oil pan and gasket to transmission case. Tighten oil pan bolts to 19 Nm (165 in lbs.).
7. Refill transmission to the proper level with MOPAR ATF + 3 Type 7176, p/n 05010124AA, or MOPAR ATF +4 Type 9602, p/n 05013457AA, for 1999 JA/LH/PR vehicles.
CAUTION: DO NOT OVERFILL TRANSAXLE. DO NOT ADD OIL IF LEVEL IS BETWEEN: LOWER HOLES FOR WARM OIL (100°F). UPPER HOLES FOR HOT OIL (180°F.).

A/T Oil Cooler Line Hose Clamp - Revised
NUMBER: 07-006-01
GROUP: Cooling
DATE: Nov. 11, 2001
SUBJECT:
Transmission Oil Cooler Line Hose Clamp Service
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin provides revised transmission oil cooler hose clamp information.
MODELS:
1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1996 - 2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
DISCUSSION:
A revised transmission oil cooler hose clamp is now available and should be used any time it is necessary to separate oil cooler hose connections. Tighten the clamp(s) to 3.2 Nm (28 in. lbs.). Transmission oil cooler hoses should be replaced only it they are damaged.
NOTE :WEATHERED SURFACE APPEARANCE ON TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER HOSES IS A NORMAL CONDITION AND WILL NOT IMPAIR THEIR ABILITY TO SEAL.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:57 PM
blue vette

This was my first visit to this site and I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I'm planning to stick Elisha's Stratus on jack stands this Saturday, clean down the transmission, run it for a while and make a positive identification of what is leaking.

There is a oblong plate on front of the transmission that is difficult to see...maybe that is leaking and running down over the front and on to the pan and maybe it was not the pan at all and I replaced the wrong part. I have no idea what that plate covers.

Once again, Thank you all for the advice.

Norm

Old 01-10-2006, 01:41 PM
brandon023
Default 1999 Dodge Ram Tranny Leak

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4X4 will post pics when i get on my computer but anyways..... my tranny is leakin too from the pan i think??? I replaced the pan and gasket(rubber gasket) put silicone around gasket and around all 14 or so bolts that hold the pan on. stop leaking for the logest time and now has started leaking again the same way. im going to pressure wash the hole underneath and start over and see if it still leaks or maybe i overfilled it i dont know. has anyone else has this same problem with the ram. the tranny isnt shifting right either it revs up really high and dont want to shi\ft into the highway gear all the time unless i let off the gas and hit it again, then it will shift. Any ideas or help would be greatly appriated. THanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Leak