General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ram 1500 maf sensor? help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:38 PM
NetB0ng
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 maf sensor? help appreciated

So Im driving as happy as can be in my bad *** 5.9 liter Ram 1500 club cab short bed when all of a sudden I let off the gas and it goes dead. Not so happy now. My oil pressure gauge says I have no oil pressure but when I check the dipstick says Im well in the "safe zone," anymore oil and it would be too full. I first thought this might be a computer problem but further research suggested that it could be a maf sensor that might be dirty or dead. But on another dodge site a few people were saying that no ram has ever had a maf sensor. Heres a quote of one person replying to someone who wants to modify thier truck so this isnt my situation but still gives some insight to my question.

"There is no MAF on a '98 R/T. I don't know of a STOCK dodge of any kind that has a MAF. The MAP sensor is already on the t-body. If you are refering to the IAT sensor just drill a hole the pan of the air cleaner and thread it in, I belive it is 1/4 NTP."

Heres another

"Post #4
You truck is speed density, not mass air. The shaker as from Keystone is goes directly on the throttle body."

somthing about it being speed density? Anyways my questions are does my 1997 Ram 1500 have a maf sensor? And what else could cause my truck to shut off whenever I let off the gas. This all started a few weeks ago when I noticed my truck idleing funny. The engine RPM would raise then get real low or even the engine would studder and shut off. Now its so bad I wont drive the damned thing. Any info on this would be great since Im driving my grandmas car to work and its kind of humiliating since her bumber is littered with stickers of cats and "vote for bush 04" bumper stickers. Not the kind of things you want your fellow union friends to see.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 AM
tenntech
Professional
Default RE: Ram 1500 maf sensor? help appreciated

Your truck does not have a mass air flow sensor. You may have a problem with your idle air control valve, or something else you should check is your battery. Even though the truck starts, I have seen some low voltage problems cause this same problem. You might try switching the battery from the car you are driving if it is big enough to start your truck. After reconnecting the battery cables it may take the truck a while to relearn to idle.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:13 PM
bassmek2
Default RE: Ram 1500 maf sensor? help appreciated

yes check on ur IAC does ur vehical turn of when its in park and u press the gas and release??? or u can test ur TPS could very well

be a problem there but the way u are explainning it sounds like its deff the IAC and yes sometimes the battery can give u this

problem.. if u have an extra battery to test with swap the battery leave the terminals disconnected for a lil while befor reconnecting

the battery so ur computer resets reconnect terminals and start ur truck it might run a lil rough for a lil while juss take it for a test

drive for a lil while and all should be well if not u can open ur hood and rev the engine and tap the IAC with the back of a screw driver

not to hard this sometimes frees the IAC they get stuck some times or juss go bad if that help change it out... thats all

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 maf sensor? help appreciated