General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
baylorbeargp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery problems

Ok so this is whats happening....i have a 2002 stratus 3.0L.......leave work one day it doesnt start..sounds like a battery...i change the battery and replace the terminal end on the - cable b/c it was really corroded...i start it up and everything works just fine... i drive it that that night and everything is good...i get up the next morning..go to start the car and it doesnt start..i think ohh no its an alternator...so i go to work comeback later that night..the car starts fine...so to be safe i pull the positive post off while the car is running to check the alternator..the car stays running..so i drive it to autozone get the man to check the battery and the alternator..they check out fine..i drive it for about 2 more days everything is fine...and then i go to start it again and it wont start...does anyone have any idea? please help

Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 PM
06ChargerSXT
Professional
Default RE: battery problems

It might be a loose ground wire.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
06ChargerSXT
Professional

Also try this the next time it happens
see if you have head lights if so
hold brake put car in Neutral try to start if it dose
check tranny cable when you put it in park make sure tranny locks
in as if you leaned on the car it moves a little forward back you can fell it locked.
Or it might be the shifter.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:01 AM
baylorbeargp

how do i check the ground cable

Old 01-13-2006, 06:55 AM
ship
Amateur

for the ground cable you want to check the two main ones, the actual battery ground cable as well as the accessory ground cable, the battery one is the black lead from your battery and the acc ground should be pretty noticeable as well, not sure as to location someone with a three litre can help out with that..
i have to ask the extra questions, have you changed anything other than described with the last month??
has your car been worked on, especially by a body shop ?
anything else been changed or touched since it ran fine??

also don't disconnect your battery while the car is running the battery acts as a voltage stabilizer for your car, you can check static voltage on the battery, as well as charging voltage while running by hooking up to your battery posts with you volt or multimeter. rev up your motor and voltage at batt should increase to the neighborhood of 14 volts.
some alternators you can even ground out and full field test, basically a bad idea and completely irrelevant to a no start pretty much, but i do wonder since you had excessive corrosion if your voltage regulator was limiting voltage?
any strong smells around the battery? maybe swelling or visible vapors? keep you battery clean as well and let us know what's up..

Old 01-15-2006, 11:54 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a classic bad starter. Replace it![sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Quick Reply: battery problems