General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
DodgeDakotaGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Not Working

Hello everyone

First I would like to thank everyone that helped me on my last post with the oil filter plate. Now that my Dad and I got passed the lubrication leak issue we moved to fuel delivery. As some of you know my Dad bought this truck at an auction and was mostly un-assembled. The problem we are having now is that while we crank the truck (clutch in) the pump does not work, I took the tank down, pump out and found sludged fuel everywhere, we cleaned it. We bought a new pump and inmersed it in fuel and tried cranking it but no luck. My truck is a 95 Dodge Dakota Sport with a 3.9 V6. I also looked at the fuel shut of relay and they clicked when the key was pushed in so they (seemed) to work.
Is there any way of testing what's wrong, I have a haines book but it does not troubleshoot in debt my problem. I am open for suggestions since we are at a stad still until we can get fuel deliver to start the truck.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: Fuel Pump Not Working

Fuel pump properly grounded when you did the test?

When you turn the key to "on", does the fuel pump run for 2 to 3 seconds and shut down?

Also check your fuses to make sure you don't have one that's corroded or blown, maybe? fuse "D" in the PDC under the hood?

Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
DodgeDakotaGuy

Chump

I did noticed that there was (NO) ground strap to the sending unit, I thought maybe the ground was applied by the wiring harness.Is there supposed to be a ground strap? I will try the fuses, Do you know a way to test the relays? Maybe like (Where) continuity should be before 12V and after 12V.

Thank You again

Old 01-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Chump
Captain

I am looking at the 96 wiring and it appears that the ground is part of the harness. Be advised that the fuel pump will only run for 2-3 seconds when you turn the key to "on". Then if the computer sees no pulses from engine sensors it will drop the ASD/fuel pump relay and cut off power to ignition and fuel.

With the fuel pump plugged into the truck harness will it run for 2 to 3 seconds when the key is turned to on?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:03 AM
Chump
Captain

Here's the 95 Wiring Diagram for the pump and sender.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/795E72D74FEB4B5A9837C9FABF1E5118.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Not Working