General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Dodge Ram (Suffocating Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 03:43 PM
007DodgeThis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dodge Ram (Suffocating Engine)

94 Dodge Ram pickup

Engine starts just fine, but can’t drive for more than 50 yards; it starts struggling and suffocating until the engine dies. I’ve already replaced the catalytic converter and its still having the same problems. So I’m thinking it's either an oxygen sensor, exhaust sensor, or something like that.

Are the sensors easy to replace? where are they located, is there anything online like pics or diagrams that show how and where to replace it?

OBD reads code 55

any other suggestions?

Thanks!
007DodgeThis

Old 01-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Caprice SS
Default RE: 94 Dodge Ram (Suffocating Engine)

An oxygen sensor shouldn't keep your vehicle from running. Besides, the PCM won't even take any readings from the O2 sensor until the O2 sensor heats up (which takes much longer than starting the truck and driving 50 yards).

Not sure if the Dodge PCM's act like the GM's but my PCM will run in open loop mode, using stored fuel mappings, until the O2 sensors heat up and start giving feedback - then the PCM will enter closed loop mode and take sensor input.

I think a code 55 for you means that there is no DTC set.

I hope this helps a little. There are so many things to check when the engine dies like that. I'd concentrate on the fuel system and the ignition system.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:44 PM
kossuth
Professional
Default RE: 94 Dodge Ram (Suffocating Engine)

Sounds like a dead fuel pump to me. Fuel pumps are a problem area on the older trucks. Check the fuel pressure I bet you will find the problem.

Quick Reply: 94 Dodge Ram (Suffocating Engine)