General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking sound if front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:55 AM
ddpclp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound if front suspension

I have this clicking sound in the front suspension on my 2001 Dodge Durango 2WD, 4.7 auto.
I had the upper balljoints replaced by a recall by a Dodge dealer. The clicking didn't go away. I replaced the lower ball joints and the left and right tie rod ends. I also replaced all the shocks, brake linings and one new caliper. You mainly hear the clicking when backing up or pulling forward while turning the wheels; although I ocassionally hear it without turning the wheel but moving. I looked at the sway bar bushings and they "appear" to be in good shape. I also looked at the lower control arm while I had it removed replacing the lower ball joints and the bushings appear to be ok there also. I know looks can be deceiving. I jacked the veicle up and tried to move the wheels top to bottom and side to side to see if I could get any play, thinking maybe the wheel bearing were loose or bad. There was no play or looseness. The noise is definately coming from the front drivers side. Could it be possible that maybe the bushing between the body and frame may be making this noise? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm close to going postal on my Durango. (just kidding)

Thanks for any help offered,

Dennis

Old 02-14-2006, 06:21 PM
coochiepoo
Default RE: Clicking sound if front suspension

CV joint problem?

Old 02-15-2006, 09:35 PM
SpdRcr

maybe a wheel bearing... some of the newer sealed type (opposed to the conventional tapered wheel bearings) will cause a clicking or popping when turning... happened on another car i had...

Old 02-22-2006, 02:28 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie

i dont know if you have cv half shafts or not. i dont own a durango, but i own a ram, and everytime i get that clicking sound its my Ujoints, and your ujoint i beleive are in your cv half shaft.

if you dont know how to do it yourself take it to someone you trust if you havent gotten it fixed yet.

i would even go as far as buying the parts from an after market place over the dealership.. i have never had any luck with dodge parts. i go after market, and most of them carry some kind of warranty. as where dodge parts do not. other than the standard 30 day warranty.

but the sound you are describing is Ujoint. pop pop pop pop especially when you are making sharper turns? sound may not be as loud when you are on a normal road. but still annoying to say the least.

take care, and i hope your problem is fixed.

shannon

Old 02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
casper
Legend

It can't be a CV as, its a 2WD. Maybe a rack or steering box. Also are the lug nuts stock? If the lugs are not right they can creak and click.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound if front suspension