General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

charging issue (i think)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:01 AM
jimbeano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging issue (i think)

hi i have a 89 dodge caravan and recently ive been noticing some issues. driving down the road at night with the lights on, the lights would go dim including the lights in the IP, and all of a sudden it would just become very bright. so we go and check it out and take the alternator to the local part store to have them check it out and everything passed. so we buy a new battery and now the problem is gone. the problem we are still having though is that the battery doesnt seem like its giving it all or isnt being charged. the lights are still dim and the meter is below what it usually would be. what could be the problem? car sounds a lot different than it used to as well. any help would be appreciated. thnx

Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: charging issue (i think)

ORIGINAL: jimbeano

hi i have a 89 dodge caravan and recently ive been noticing some issues. driving down the road at night with the lights on, the lights would go dim including the lights in the IP, and all of a sudden it would just become very bright. so we go and check it out and take the alternator to the local part store to have them check it out and everything passed. so we buy a new battery and now the problem is gone. the problem we are still having though is that the battery doesnt seem like its giving it all or isnt being charged. the lights are still dim and the meter is below what it usually would be. what could be the problem? car sounds a lot different than it used to as well. any help would be appreciated. thnx

Measure the voltage on the battery with the engine running..it should be around 14+ volts. If it is near 12 then you are not charging and probably have a voltage regulator problem. check to see if you have a voltage regulator on the fender or firewall that looks like this. Replace it, can get at any auto parts store. I cant remember what year they went to the VR in the computer but it was around 1990. If thats the case then you'll need a new computer.[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 AM
jimbeano

when i went to go buy the battery (i needed a new one anyway), the guy told me it sounded like it could be the regulator as well. so im gonna go have a look at it as soon as i get home. thnx for that info and the pic

Old 02-10-2006, 05:39 PM
casper
Legend

I had the same problem with my 86 daytona, and it was the regulator too. Thats my vote.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimbeano

I always belive that if you buy a Bat. then you buy a ALT. Go get a ALT.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

regulator seems like the likely cause. If the alternator tested out fine which if tested right included load testing it (which includes the regulator if it is an internal version) I would also look at the wires and terminals sthere could be a voltage drop somewhere along the system.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:09 AM
jimbeano

ok i ended up having a friend take it to a local electrical shop and have them check it out. im not sure what exactly they did but the cars working fine now and everythings being charged BUT the idle is just a little too high. is there a way I could fix it? or does that sound like something id have to take to a car shop to check out.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Kitulu

Ummm...if the idle is a little high and it works now, perhaps the belt tensioner is too loose and they just upped the idle to compensate. If the alt is not spinning fast enough, it will not charge the battery properly.

Quick Reply: charging issue (i think)