General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stuttering and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:29 PM
95neonwhite4dr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuttering and backfiring

I have a 95 neon 2.0 sohc that has been stuttering and backfiring ever since I ran it low on gas. trying to fix the problem I have replaced the fuel filter and the spark plugs. I also ran seafoam through the pcv system three seperate times, and each time I did it seems to be getting better. Am I on the right track, or is there anything else it could be? some people say it is the fuel pump and others say it is not, because a fuel pump either works or it doesn't, there is no "sometimes works".

Old 03-21-2006, 11:54 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: stuttering and backfiring

You could also have debris cloggin a line or the the fuel pump filter, maybe water in the system? Seafoam on an 11 year car is good. Did you put seafoam in your gas tank too? Also, I would recommend changing your oil and filter after this is all said and done...granted you didn't put any directly down your combustion chamber, but it's still good practice and wouldn't hurt.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:54 AM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: stuttering and backfiring

Silver is on the right track. Neons have a returnless fuel system and the fuel injector and rail can become contaminated with junk when you run very low. It is a fairly easy job to pull the fuel rail and injectors and spray clean everything (inside the fuel rail ) with spray carb cleaner. Make sure fuel pressure is released 1st and you might want tp tap/bang the fuel rail on a bench to dislodge debris. The debris winds up on the end away from the fuel line connect.

Buck

Quick Reply: stuttering and backfiring