General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1953 Dodge Meadowbrook Stalling/stumbling

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Jefro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook Stalling/stumbling

So here's the lowdown:

1953 Dodge Meadowbrook 2-dr Suburban (Wagon)
Flathead 6
3 Speed Manual
~88K

Already rebuilt Carb (B&B Single)
Cap, Rotor, Points & Plugs checked and in good shape (have not checked wires yet)
Checked fuel filter, cleaned. Pump pressure checked - seems like good flow into carb.
Tranny seems fine.

Starts and idles fine (as fine as a 6 volt system does), but when load is put on (we are accelerating - and not necessarily very quickly) engine while driving (after ~200-300 yards) while WARM (being cold seems to help it to run more smoothly), it starts to stumble - first slowly then enough to stall out the engine. From there it will start, but quickly stumbles or stalls out. If we let it "cool" down a bit (not overheating though), it'll let us limp for a while. Then repeat till home. Funny thing - reverse does not seem to have nearly the same impact - though I only have backed it in a few yards that way to park. Probably nothing - but just in case.

Some things I'm thinking:
Wires - though everything else is in good shape
Some sort of electrical short (At firewall?)
Still a carb issue (Float? - though we are getting good flow into the "tank")
Water/dirt in the fuel line (though it doesn't seem to have any issues idling)
Heat Riser (though it does not seem to be stuck open or closed, and not experiencing extreme overheating)
Fuel Pump failing (perhaps pressue is on/off - we have not experienced that, but would explain some of the issues)

Stuck - any help would be much appreciated!

[IMG]local://upfiles/30242/A816E6F3B8E6450FBD90586A7871EE8C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2006, 11:19 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook Stalling/stumbling

Sounds like fuel starvation to me. You said you "checked" the fuel filter. How about replacing it? I tried "cleaning" them before, but they never seem to be "right" afterwards. I would replace the fuel filer. You said you rebuilt the carb, but it could still have some "dirt" in there that is blocking fuel getting into the float bowl. Did you say you checked the float level? You might try this: disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Use a piece of rubber fuel line attached to the end and run that into a plastic jug or suitable container. Then, crank the engine over to make sure the fuel pump is pumping really good. This will also tell/show you if you're getting any "junk" from the tank or old fuel line - I assume it's old.

I rebuilt the carb on a 225 /6 I have three times before I got it right - I'm no expert as you can tell. It would start and idle fine, but would not run under a load. One thing I had was a very dirty gas tank. Again, it would idle, but under load and needing more fuel, it would dredge up the junk from the gas tank. I had the tank cleaned and replaced the entire fuel line and fuel pickup in the tank. She runs darned good now.

Anyway, just some things to think about if you haven't already. Good luck.

dave

Old 02-27-2006, 12:45 AM
bcallpres

74scamp had some good suggestions. I would check that first. Two things that I thought might contribute to your predicament that weren't mentioned:
1. Is there a vacuum leak anywhere? Spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb and where the intake connects to the manifold. If the RPM's go up, you found the leak.
2. Is the timing advancing? '53 - What did they use to advance the timing then? Did they have vacuum advance systems then?
Good luck

Old 02-28-2006, 07:36 PM
06ChargerSXT
Professional

could be a sticking float OR
the float may have a pin hole in it causing it to fill with gas
and not allowing it to keep the proper level.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:30 AM
meadowbrook

Hello I just bought a 53 meadowbrook wagon trying to find others that can tell me a little bit about it,,,,, could you help me I won't bug you to much thanks robert....... About your stalling did you check your exhaust back pressure (plugged exhaust) email a57ragtop@hotmail.com want to know where to get body panels, what other years or models interchange, pictures of our model, chrome trim, etc....

Old 10-22-2006, 10:02 PM
punklimo

Well, I have a 1953 4 door meadowbrook, and I am experiencing the exact same situation. It was only able to idle for about 20 minutes before just stalling out, and I couldn't drive her till the brakes were fixed,My initial thought was a vapor lock in the fuel line from the pump to the filter , because of the heat from the exhaust manifold, so I changed the line and re directed it further away, that has let it idle indefinately, now the brakes were re built this weekend and I was finally able to drive!!! and thats when I began having these stumbling issues... now, there are other problems but this is the first one I need to deal with, have you solved it? did changing the wires help? any help would be great...

FLY

Old 10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
MuskratJames

My first thought, since it runs better when it's cold...does the fuel line run close to a hot part such as the exhaust? I'm thinking you're seeing the engine get vapor locked, I.E. the gasoline evaporates in the line before it gets to the carb, and thus not enough fuel is delivered to the carb. Pretty similar to the fuel starvation idea that was mentioned earlier.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 AM
punklimo

that was my initial thought and yes it does run kinda close to the exhaust manifold so I redirected the fuel line about 6 inches further away and the problem persisted, I put a thermometer on the fuel line and had an ambient temp reading that was the same as when it was running fine, there was a minor change of like 5 degrees, but still not hot enough to cause a problem. I have tried this on a cold day as well, same problem...I have ordered a new fuel pump but am having reservations about whether or not this will fix the problem entirely, I want to drain and flush out the gas tank more thoroughly or just put in a replacement fuel cell and bypass the tank al together, but I'm broke...santa grabed all my cash and got away on his sled...

Old 06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
punklimo

so it took a while to actually do the work but ....once the fuel pump was installed all engine stalling went away. I ran a new fuel line to the tank, but there is no flow, so I am by passing the tank right now, and if I can find one I will be replacing it, and might install a trunk mounted, fuel cell. any thoughts on that would be helpful.

I am also working on replacing wiring piece by piece, as of right now I haven't done any replacing,,,beyond the ones from the distributor to theplugs, but am experiencing a problem with the key switch, and currently have to jump the solenoid. if anyone knows where I can get a new switch or maybe how to fix such a thing let me know.

thats all I got for today.

Quick Reply: 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook Stalling/stumbling