General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Dodge Ram Fuse Box Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:53 PM
sloch24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram Fuse Box Question

I'm installing a Firestone Ride-Rite on-board air compressor to power my air bags, and I need to know if it's possible to use one of the "spare" fuse holders that are in the engine compartment fuse box (power distrubution.) There is only one contact in the spare fuse slots for a fuse to connect to, which is the hot (+) connection. My question is, is it possible to use this spare fuse slot? If so, how do I go about getting the other connector, and how is it connected to the wire that I need to power my compressor?

Thanks,
Scott
2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.9L

Old 02-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Ram Fuse Box Question

ORIGINAL: sloch24

I'm installing a Firestone Ride-Rite on-board air compressor to power my air bags, and I need to know if it's possible to use one of the "spare" fuse holders that are in the engine compartment fuse box (power distrubution.) There is only one contact in the spare fuse slots for a fuse to connect to, which is the hot (+) connection. My question is, is it possible to use this spare fuse slot? If so, how do I go about getting the other connector, and how is it connected to the wire that I need to power my compressor?

Thanks,
Scott
2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.9L
I have not been in the PDC but generally speaking the terminal that you would probably need is just a special female spade terminal that gets crimped on the end of a wire and the special terminal snaps into the PDC.
I would recommend not using the PDC and would make up a seperate power source from the battery that you can hook your compressor to. You could also use this source for other add-ons. From my travels over the web I have found the PDC to be very sensitive and prone to corrosion and wiring problems. Also I don't know if the compressor might create some electrical noise and cause other circuits in the PDC to get shakey?

Old 02-27-2006, 06:30 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I would have to agree that you are better off installing a seperate fuse block. Later on you might decide to install other extras-one less step and eliminates headaches.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 PM
sloch24

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind. However, today I was looking at the fuse panel inside the vehicle. It has a spare that is not being used, and it is controlled by the ignition. What are your thoughts on connecting my compressor to this unused fuse holder?

I would like the compressor to run only when the ignition is on, and this seems like a nice way to do it. The interior fuse panel does not control the engine computer, or any other sensitive electronic devices, so this should be okay, right?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram Fuse Box Question