General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 Intrepid Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:47 PM
kjs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Intrepid Oil Pressure

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a question I was hoping someone could help me with. My oil light keeps flickering on & off - typically when I'm at a red light or something like that. It only flickers on for about 5 seconds and doesn't stay on constantly. My car has about 84,000 miles on it. I went and had an oil change when I noticed this start and have checked my oil regularly since then. I haven't lost any oil and haven't noticed any leaks. Something that I think is unrelated is that my cooling fan has been making a horrible noise when I turn the car off. I had someone replace the motor in one of the fans so I hope that issue is resolved (that was just done yesterday, so I don't know for sure if it was fixed or not). Someone told me to replace the oil pressure switch and someone else told me to start using thicker oil because of the high number of miles on my car (I'm not sure what - it calls for 10W30). Finally, I've noticed that, also at red lights, my car occasionally feels like the engine is choking out or like it's going to stall. Someone told me that that might be due to bad gas and that I should run some fuel system cleaner through it.

Any advice anyone can offer on ANY of these issues would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:58 AM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: 01 Intrepid Oil Pressure

1st, I would do a search on the net and read about all the oil/sludge issues on these. After reading this and you decide to keep the car, I would change the oil pressure sender, and make sure idle speed is over 600 when in gear. If idle speed is below spec then have a shop clean the throttle body and possibly replace the idle air control motor.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
kjs

Wow - I didn't realize there were oil/sludge issues. I'll definitely do some research and see what I can find out. Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:11 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

2.7L right. first off you should be using 5w-30 oil. i suggest synthetic. next the blinking oil light when idle in drive at red lights is a TSB which mien does also. it requires some new wiring and a new oil sending unit. look into TSB# 08-36-99. thats the blinking light one. next i cant explain the choking but it definitely wouldn't hurt to run some fuel system cleaner though it. the sludge is a problem but if u you take good care of your car it should be fine. for starts run some oil flush through there. i suggest golden eagle i believe it is because it doesn't have kerosene in it so it wont be so harsh on the engine. also use synthetic. it is alot less likely to sludge.

Quick Reply: 01 Intrepid Oil Pressure