General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'04 HEMI thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:34 PM
HEMIcosesous
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 HEMI thermostat

'04 Hemi Thermostat

I have been searching for a 180 degree thermostat for my new HEMI 5.7L. If you have done any search'n around.. finding one.. seems to be sort of a problem. Even for an '03.

After talking to one of the techs at a dealership, he mentioned, that putting a 180 degree thermo in a new hemi is a bad idea. he says, " The computer will get confused, and will make the engine rich". Which means, adds more fuel correct.

Now that being said.. will that be true. I was told, the HEMI's optimum temp range was at 182.

Are all of these lies??!? or what..

Can someone Please set me straight.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:54 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: '04 HEMI thermostat

Richening the charge is what you want. Question is if the computer will advance the timing enough to compensate for the additional fuel. I believe that the computer may be limited in the amount of adjustment it does have. That is why the mods people are doing to the Hemi are not producing the results seen on other vehicles. Bottom line, we need an aftermarket computer for the Hemi. I've heard that there may be a performance PCM in the near future. I hope so.

Have you tried draining the system enough to get the thermostat out? I can't believe that the Hemi would have a dedicated design on a thermostat, although stranger things have happened.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:35 PM
HEMIcosesous

Have you heard of anyone changing the Thermo on the '04 Hemi's? If so, what kind of gain were they getting.

Also, I know that JETCHIP does have a module for the 04 hemi. I found out that the computer in the 03's and the 04's are slightly different, and require a seperate module for each other. (i.e. can not put an 03 on an 04)

Are Jetchips worth it? modify'n the exhaust, and the intake is all I have done, or should I say will have done by this weekend. (hopefully) The cold air is on order, and the exhaust.. well just trying to find time to get it down there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4203/Ec880569440.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2004, 01:06 PM
moparturd
Banned

You might want to reconsider the Jetchip idea. I have never heard anything good on them when it comes to a MoPar. What exhaust and intake system did you order?

Old 05-25-2004, 01:48 PM
HEMIcosesous

I sacrificed the K&N kit (I may pay for it later) and bought a slightly diff model from a dealer here in Oklahoma City. It uses a K&N filter, however, the "pipe' that runs over to the engine is a chrome one, with colorkeyed (color of my truck) fittings. I'll take a picture of it once I get it on.

The exhaust, I have not ordered yet. I have been checking around on what I want to get. I hear good things about dynomax systems. Where I was planning on taking it, the mechanic talked about using a flowmaster system. What are your ideas... what do you use.. what have you heard. Since I am going to be spending 200-400 on the system.. there is really no way around saving any money.

I would really be interested in finding out more about the thermo.. that kinda sparked my intrest... Not like the old days where you can just drop one in.. and get gain.. D*MN computers!!!

Old 05-25-2004, 02:13 PM
moparturd
Banned

To be honest with you, I'd personally just go with a muffler vs. an entire system. If you look at the pipes on the truck you'll see they are mandrell bent already. You may gain some if you change the stock muffler and remove the resonator, but I don't believe the gains will be all that much.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:31 PM
HEMIcosesous

I just called the shop back a diff shop, and they actually just said what you recomended. He recomended a magnoflow muffler stoped, and dropped at the back axel, with no pipes out the back. He said personally he would do it in stages.. to find the sound that I am looking for.

I asked him to compare the sound to a V8 vortech chevy, he says the HEMI's are 60% louder, and more of distinctive sound.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:43 PM
moparturd
Banned

HaHaHaHa[sm=lol.gif] He must be a MoPar person. A chevy person would never say that. The Hemi does sound sweet though.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:49 PM
HEMIcosesous

[8D] Yes, he must be a MoPar fan

I guess all you can do is just give it a shot, and see what she really sounds like I might just have to record it, and post it

Old 05-25-2004, 03:52 PM
moparturd
Banned

Yeah. Now that would be cool.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: '04 HEMI thermostat