General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

to turn or not to turn that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:16 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to turn or not to turn that is the question...

OK I'm getting new brake pads. somehow i managed to eat up a whole brand new set of the premium ceramic Bosch pads in 9 months. well i still have the original rotors on the car. they have never been turned or had maintenance of any kind for all 57k miles so far. my pads have lifetime warranty so ill get a new set soon. but I'm wondering should i continue using the rotors as is, turn the rotors, or get a completely new set of rotors. if i turn them how much does that cost. is that cost effective compared to just buying a new set. and secondly if i do buy a new set would i be better off with the 50 dollar each premium Bosch rotors or like economy cheap *** 20 buck off brand rotors. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:42 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: to turn or not to turn that is the question...

Replace them like I told you on IM. I personally wouldnt risk dealing with any possible problems and not to mention its always better to play it safe with your braking components. Turning rotors is fine for mild wear....but if you've never done it since you've had the car.....I would replace them.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

I would put new ones on it nick. Not turning the rotors when you did the last brake job is probaly part of what screwed the new pads. For the cost difference between new rotors and having them turned it's just as cheap to buy new. Plus it's easier for you. Just remember before you put the new ones on spay them clean with some brake clean to remove the coating from them.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Jack142

new rotors are ususally cheap. best bet is to replace them. and maybe look at getting some softer brake pads

Quick Reply: to turn or not to turn that is the question...