General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Stratus 2.4L Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Dodgegolfer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Stratus 2.4L Won't Start

I'm new to the forum and I have a problem that I hope to get some help on.

My grown daughter bought a 98 Stratus with the 2.4L DOHC engine that was not running because of financial problems. I volunteered to help her get it running, but I didn't realize the battle I was up against. I used to be a mechanic in my younger days and I still do a lot of car work and I like to think I am good at troubleshooting. Maybe not, this one has me puzzled and I don't want to spend a lot of money trying different parts.

According to the previous owner, the car recently had the timing belt replaced, along with a tune-up, and belts and hoses replaced. It had run for a little while and then just died. They towed it home and then replaced a few other things. One thing they did was replace the plug going to the coil pack with another that has different wire colors than the original wiring and two of the wires had come out of the splices. That's one question that I will get to later.

When I got it home, I started troubleshooting and found that the fuel system seems to be working properly, but I am getting no spark. According to the Haynes and Chilton manuals, I performed the following tests with these results.

1) Voltage at the center plug going to the coil for a second or two after turning the key to run - indicates good ASD relay and circuitry.
2) After voltage goes away, then turn key to crank engine and get consistant voltage on center terminal - indicates good crankshaft position sensor and good camshaft position sensor.
The voltage tests were conducted with the meter grounded to the negative battery post. I then replaced the coil pack with the same results.

I suspected the new coil plug, but I got continuity with the expected resistance going through the plug and coil itselt. I then devised my own test to test the PCM. Since the ground path goes through the PCM to time the spark, I tested voltage going through the center post with the meter grounded to the outside plugs. One side gets voltage, the other does not. Now I really am confused. I checked wire continuity on the ground wires to the PCM and one of them goes to the pin that the Chiltons book said that it should (which is the one that I got a completed circuit on) and the other goes to a different pin. It was like that from the factory, so I assume my book is not correct.

My thoughts are that the PCM may not be completing the ground path to create the spark, but I'm still not convinced that the Crank or Cam position sensors are good, especially after reading the problems with other Stratuses on this forum and others I have checked out. I'm not sure that I don't have a problem with the timing belt slipping, as I've read in this forum with others that have faced this same problem.

Does anyone have any advice? Also, can someone please give my the wire colors going to the coil plug? I know the Dark Green with Orange stripe going to the middle plug. It's the common hot wire for both sides of the coil.

Sorry this is so long, I get wordy, but I wanted to relay all my experience with this problem hoping to get some help.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 PM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: 98 Stratus 2.4L Won't Start

Pull the timing belt cover and verify the belt timing. If belt timing if off 2 or more teeth then computer disables spark.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Dodgegolfer

The theory proved true. I pulled the cover and found a small round piece of metal that looked like it came from a bearing and sure enough, the timing belt tensioner was toast. The timing had jumped several teeth. Now I am having problems locating a tensioner. None of our local auto parts (Auto Zone or O'Reily's) have the part, nor is it available to order. I've tried online and get the same result. If the Dodge dealer doesn't have it, I don't know what I need to do to get this part.

Any ideas?

Old 04-15-2006, 10:59 AM
slayer

a dodge dealer can get it for you

Quick Reply: 98 Stratus 2.4L Won't Start