General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:55 AM
salomonskier
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problems

I am having problems with my AC i just filled it up with freon yesterday because it stopped working and by this afternoon it had already stopped again. I know I must have a major leak somewhere but I cant find it and i dont really know where to look from here so if anyone is good with Air Conditioners I would really appreciate your help because I live in New Mexico!

Old 04-10-2006, 03:24 AM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: AC Problems

You can buy a cheap a/c dye kit for probably $75-$100. You inject the dye same as freon. Refill system and let run for bit. After several hours use the black light to look over the system for a bright yellow/green stain. If the inside unit leaks you need to examine the water drain for the dye.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:02 PM
ptt
Default RE: AC Problems

Sometimes if your lucky and the leak isn't hidden under the dash in the evaporator and it's been a fairly slow leak you can visually see where the compessor oil has caked road dirt/dust at the site of the leak. Check from the front at the condenser backwards along the hoses to the compressor on to the firewall and look for the telltale amassed gunk. Aforementioned dye test would be the next step.

Quick Reply: AC Problems