General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission/Rear end clunk noise????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:58 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission/Rear end clunk noise????

Ok all here is the deal, ive had some mechanical issues with my 98' ram 4x4 5.9 auto (80k) which have required me to replace the TPS and the Torque Converter, other than that been a very good truck. The issue i am about to address has done this since i have owned the truck (70k). I bought it from a buddy who babied it, and he is not one to short change people-trust me. Anyway, the problem i have is that when i let off the gas at around 20 mph, my truck will make a noticable clunk/lurch, like the rear end is trying to catch up or the transmission doesnt know what to do. Sometimes it is harsh, sometimes it isnt. When i put the transmission into second gear (2) and drive it then it never ever does it. I have had it looked at before and mechanics and check out the U-Joints and all that jazz, and they all say its normal or didnt know what it was, one shop adjusted the transmission pressures and updated software but that didnt do a damn thing.......i DO NOT believe them when they say it is normal. Can anybody help me or give me any opinions they will all be greatly appreciated. Its been bugging me forever.... im at a loss ?????????? Also it did it even before i replaced my torque converter.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
mofo flake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission/Rear end clunk noise????

did you check the U-joints yet?

they are pretty cheap and at 80K it wouldne hurt to replace them

Old 04-18-2006, 01:32 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Thank you for responding-

Yes i had a mechanic check them out, this is actually all i thought it was at first, but they are fine, what he guessed and someone else mentioned this to me was that when i let of the gas the demand of the engine is not as great, and it is right as the transmission shifts, so it makes that clunk, but to me it should not be doing this, i think something in the transmission is goofed up or the rear end, but i could be and probably am wrong. Any other suggestions????

Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 AM
coonass

I have an 06 ram 1500 QC with 2100 miles. It does the same thing. A lot of people looked at it and said the U joints. I brought it to the dealer and go figure, nothing is wrong, its normal, but this sound is not normal. It does it on mine from reverse to park. So I left the dealer and went see a good friend of mine who is a great mechanic that i trust. We both got under the truck and at the drive shaft toward the front, grab the driveshaft and push up on it. They have slack in the shaft, i know a very small amount of play is o.k. but you can actually watch it move around. The bearings are bad. Nothing will ever be done to help dodge tranny's and driveshafts, they say they fixed them but thats bull. This is a brand new 06 and same problem. I don't think i will go back to the dealer since they couldn't see this. I will just wait till the tranny fails and have them incur the cost of that and see how that feels since it could have been avoided. They will just feed me more bull**** if i bring it back. Never buy a dodge without an extended warrany!!!!!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Yes, and mine makes the noise when i go from park to reverse (opposite yours) and it gets old. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt. I just wanna know why i can drive around in 2 instead of D and then it wont do it. The dealer checked out my tranny while they had it down for the TC, and said all was well there. ???

Old 04-19-2006, 05:30 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Any other thoughts ?????

Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 AM
Rivalry
Professional

Just a suggestion... rear motor mount?

Quick Reply: Transmission/Rear end clunk noise????