General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake and ABS lights came on. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:00 PM
alex.cash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and ABS lights came on. What do I do?

I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a cummins 5.9L diesel. After sitting for a few days over the weekend, I cranked it and both the ABS and brake lights come on for the bulb check, then they go off for about 1-second (presumably during the computer diangostics), and then come back on and stay lit. I've had a complete 4-wheel brake job since then, so I don't believe the problem is hydraulic. Any ideas on what to look for or replace? The truck has 80,000 miles on it. Any ABS sensor(s) prone to go out around 80,000 miles or 6 years?

I can't find anyone except the dealership that will check the complete computer system with the Chrysler "DRB" reader. In any case, that "service" is VERY expensive. I've had the computer read at Autozone and Advance Auto parts, but that reader isn't a complete computer code check, and it doesn't return any problem.

Thanks for the help.

alex.cash@gmail.com

Old 08-25-2006, 12:19 AM
chryslertech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake and ABS lights came on. What do I do?

Abs sensor in rear differential is a common problem, it is located on top of rear diff. Most of the time speedo will quit working also.

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS lights came on. What do I do?