General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

black smoke,excess fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:16 AM
vadad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black smoke,excess fuel

Getting black smoke, gas in oil pan. Changed fuel injector, oxygen sensor.Replaced PCM, map sensor,spark plugs, and logic computer. Broke and stuck. Did notice it blows ignition time delay relay. Starts with relay out, not in. Any thoughts?

Old 06-21-2004, 03:19 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: black smoke,excess fuel

What kind of vehicle, we haven't built anything with only one injector in over a decade-is it that old?

Old 06-22-2004, 12:56 AM
vadad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your'e time. 1986 Dodge Daytona 2.2 l non turbo AT. Went to Advance auto. They had a scanner 1&2 that did not go back that far. Should have probly gone somewhere that did have a computer. Did the turn key 3 times with-in 5 sec, but the bulb does not give a blinking code.It never comes on, even initially.I went to a junk yard, got a throttle body with sensors off a Sundance. Symptoms stayed the same. Put back the oriegal body, since vacuum hook ups were different. Matter of fact had a bad day. The body, and interior were excellent, but someone backed into me in the parts store parking lot. Im going to fix the body, not take the check, cause I do like the car...Compression looks good. Oil pressure looks good.Doesnt over-heat...Do you know what the iginition delay relay does? Cant find any info on it or if it is related....

Old 06-22-2004, 04:25 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eewww, 2.2 non-turbo. Some of those parts are going to be real expensive, I've got a 250.00 injector sitting on my tool box. I'd guess either fuel pressure regulator or MAP sensor. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT PARTS. Those early cars need the exact part as some cars run 15 PSI while others with the same engine run 40 PSI, example: a 1990 Sundance 2.2 runs 14-18 PSI while a 1992 Acclaim 2.2 runs 38-42 PSI. Put the wrong fuel pressure rgulator on and you'll know right away.

Quick Reply: black smoke,excess fuel