General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

question: going to the dealership tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
shadowzform
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question: going to the dealership tomorrow...

When i first got my truck i was having problems with a slight jerking when i shift to drive or reverse from park. I never worried to much about it because I didn't care one way or the other. And to tell the truth i didn't think that there was anything wrong really, i was actually thinking that it was normal, or that it was just the idle speed being too high, or me not letting the engine idle long enough to warm up good before i shifted.

I've been kind of dragging this along and have been hesitant about bringing it to the dealership, but my problem is that during full throttle on my automatic transmission, the shift that occurs between 1st and 2nd is where i have all the problems. I first noticed it when passing someone up on the highway one day. At first my problem was it would hesitate and in between shifts, make a "vroom" coming from (not my engine or exhaust) but under my truck somewhere. here is an video file of it. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/...a/MOV00001.3gp (you must turn the volume all teh way up to hear it. it would be like "waaaaaa-wrooo-waaaa"

That problem actually went away for a few days, now, i decided to test it one more time to see what it would do and in between 1st and 2nd and now instead of it making a vroom kind of noise, its making a slight clicking, more like a grinding sound (but i would think it would be louder if it was gears grinding). Nevertheless my friend and I label it a "grinding sound"

Not only would I like to hear what you guys think it might be, my MAIN question is, do you think that the dealership will, in any way, try not to repair the transmission and make it like it was my fault? What if they go to fix it and find something terribly bad like gears halfway stripped and then charge ME for it, saying that the reason it happened was because of ME or my exhaust/intake giving my engine more power than the transmission "was made to handle". I know these guys are not going to like fixing it, also because it is not a five-star dealership and they are crappy. This town is poor and the dealership is too. The cops are lazy and all so I'm paranoid. The truck is only 7 months old and I would like some advice or information from anyone here, please!

Thank you

Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: question: going to the dealership tomorrow...

Truck year? Make? Model? Engine?

All dealerships are different, so it's hard to tell what they might do. If you have a warranty that covers powertrain, then they have to fix it.

The only way they can void it because of an aftermarket mod is if they can provide proof that the mod caused the problem...or if there's a clause in the warranty that states that you can't modify the vehicle's powertrain and powertrain related systems.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:05 AM
shadowzform
Veteran
Default RE: question: going to the dealership tomorrow...

2005 dodge ram bought on NOV. 11 2005 4.7l Magnum Quad cab, automatic transmission 5-speed 3.55 gear ratio

I got the 7 year/ 70-something mile powertrain and the 3 year/36,000 mile full warranty.

Well hopefully they don't have a clause in the warranty like that. I think there's a lemon law or something that should keep them from having a clause like that. I live here in LA where all the laws are screwed up so... lol. There's no telling. I won't know until tomorrow. I'll keep info posted.

edit: UPDATE.

They did act like it was my fault, but he told me he didn't think it was my transmission, he said "I am 100 percent sure it is what is called "valve sputter" -- or soemthing like that.
He said that my valve(s), at those high rpms and in between shifts aren't opening and closing correctly and suggested for me to use fuel additives to clean my engine.

He sounded correct, but he is either 1: correct
2: a pretty good, clever, extremely intelligent liar to help keep his company from spending money.

He said "you don't need to be passing at full-throttle like that anyways." i replied in a smart-elic remark "well if dodge would learn not to put such weak engines in their trucks like the low-output 4.7 then maybe i wouldn't have to floor it just to pass the people up in time on the highways. I guess only having 4000 miles on your truck is enough to start having problems."

[I'm not saying my truck is slow, because on the contrary it is extremely fast for a 4.7 after i broke it in and modded it, but I was just showing how much i hate the fact that dodge didnt put the high-output 4.7 in the ram. (maybe it was to sell the HEMI better.) Of course I could have bought a HEMI but by the time i went to go get a ram (at the end of 2005), the three closest dealers all had nothing but 2005-model 4.7s and didn't plan to order anymore 2005 trucks. So I got screwed.]

His next response was "well part of that problem could also be because of that exhaust you have on your truck." I didn't respond because I knew it wasn't going to do me any good, just goes to show you, you have to be a clever guy to negotiate getting repairs at dealerships if you want one because those guys sure know how to blame it on you.

Quick Reply: question: going to the dealership tomorrow...