General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Durango A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:22 PM
2002DD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango A/C problems

First off I'm glad there is a forum for Durango owners and have read up on several posts and could not find a problem like mine.
My 2000 Durango 5.2 SLT is not blowing any cool air at all it went from cold to hot while I was driving it to work, it started off with the A/C blowing cold air while I was driving and then it started to get warmer as I was driving to completely hot and has been hot ever since and thats been several days now.

The compressor engages when I turn on the A/C selector switch to the on postion and disengages when the A/C selector switch is in the off postion. This has me scratching my head, I know from the past if the compressor is not engaging there is a low refrigerant pressure in the system, it was in need of a recharge of refrigerant.

I know I need to check the pressure in the system, but what would cause it to blow hot air even though the compressor is still engaging like that ?

any helpful tips would be great

PS found a TSB # 24-03-96 A/C does not cool A/C clutch engaged Check PCM with DRB III, I cant get a viewable page on this particular TSB #

again any help would be great

Old 08-06-2006, 08:37 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2000 Durango A/C problems

Is your cooling fan running when you turn the AC on?

Old 08-06-2006, 10:00 PM
2002DD

Yes the A/C electric cooling fan does turn on when I turn on the A/C and turns off when I turn off the A/C

Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 AM
pcjeep

"if the compressor is not engaging there is a low refrigerant pressure in the system"
that's not true.
Drain the a/c system, vacuum it down, fill it with the exact amount of 134a it needs, see label under the hood somewhere. then add dye. run the a/c for a day, then use a blacklight to check if the dye is leaking anywhere...evaporators go bad allot! shine the blacklight at the evap drain tube.
Does anyone know of a forum similar to this one but for Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep Dealer techs only?

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango A/C problems