General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

poor gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 AM
dunespit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor gas milage

I just bought a 2006 Dodge magnum,V-6,2.7L,26,000 miles..I am only getting 12-14 mpg!!! I did by a performance module on e-bay that connects to the air temp. sensor by the air cleaner. The air filter appears clean..What can I do. The module I bought made a big differance in power but only2mpg improvement..Any advice would be greatly appreciated..Thanx..The dealed said there was nothing he could do with no warning lights on

Old 08-18-2006, 05:25 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: poor gas milage

first off, that resistor ebay mod is a myth...the computer relearns to quickly on newer vehicles...i have had a 2.7L magnum on a few occassions for a week or so, and i got around 20-24mpg...what kind of driving do you do, mostly?

Old 08-19-2006, 02:53 AM
dunespit

Thanx for the reply--I've only had my SE for about 3 weeks..I've only been able to drive in the city with some free way miles..i bet you are right about that e-bay mod..my check engine light has come on twice, but i've reset it.But surprisingly, of course the mod has only been used for about a week but the power differance is noticable.Especially at speeds from 10-50 mph. the car was real doggy before but not now. It has a quick response.No not like a V-8, but.........and so far there is a mpg increase.The dealer told me to try some injector cleaner in the gas tank..Hmmmm.. I did order a new air cleaner. I don't know what else to do The gas milage sucks at 15mpg!!!!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
god_complx
Professional

thats the problem with the se too much weight to pull with the small engine, my RT does as good or better in city, and on vacation I was pulling 24mpg

Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: god_complx

thats the problem with the se too much weight to pull with the small engine
I disagree. Following that logic, shoving larger and larger engines should provide better and better mileage. Not true. (I'm not a huge fan of this argument, I've heard it when someone was talking about getting under 10MPG on their I-4 Dakota, and someone said "Too small of an engine, too much truck." Well, thats not the reason it's getting bad mileage, since a I-4 Dakota gets better mileage than a V-6 or V-8, which totally blows that theory out of the water .)
The bottom line is, somewhere along the line, there is a problem. It should be getting better mileage. His car weights slightly less than my truck, has a more powerful motor (25 more HP, with 1.2L less displacement), and its a 2WD car, not a 4WD wall (I mean, truck). I'm getting the same mileage as he is, he should most definitly be getting better.
According to Dodge.com / EPA estimates, 21 city, 28 highway. Thats about.... well, since hes going mostly city, and EPA is always off, about 5-8MPG off.
*edit* A prime example that a small engine does not mean bad mileage is the Sprinter. It's got a small 2.7L I-5 for all that size (and weight) and gets around 28MPG. The Ram Van it replaced got about the same as the Ram trucks, same thing with the Ford E-series and Chevy Express/GMC Savanna (even the diesel powered Ford, Chevy/GMC get lack-luster mileage, so it's not the diesel that makes the Sprinter get the mileage it gets). It's competetors weight the same, have engines twice as large, and get half the mileage.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
buckw1
Professional

Make sure tire pressue is 35 to 40 psi. Higher the pressure the better the milage.
Have a aligment done, the car is used and you have no idea if its off.
Do a oil change with 5/20 or synthetic.
Try one tank of premium fuel.

How are you determining milage?
How do you drive?
A/C constantly on will always drag milage into the toilet!
Proper way is reset trip odometer to 0.0 at fill up.
At NEXT fill up note how many miles are on trip odometer and how many gallons to fill up. Divide gallons needed for fill up by miles driven based on trip odometer reading.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
dunespit

Thank you for responding!! I've tried all your suggestions already except the wheel alighnment. I'll try that.Unfortunately I live in a hot area, so the AC is on all the time.l bet that does make a huge differance. I will also try some premium gasoline and re check the tire pressure.Thank you so much for your time!!

Quick Reply: poor gas milage