General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

radio no reception

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 AM
pcjeep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio no reception

question, I'm not too good with audio, my radio has no reception I get one station. good thing its the station I like. antenna, ground speakers are good. I got another duplicate radio at work and put it in, same thing. I think I have 2 bad radios! Is there something else I'm missing? At work I would just write the car up for a new radio or send it out for repair.
They go bad allot. here is a photo.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42051/34ABBA71ACE643789E8E56C23A01742A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: radio no reception

Is the antenna wire connected good at the actual antenna on the exterior of the vehicle? If so, and since you said the other connections are good, it would make me believe its an internal problem (of some kind).
I know on mine (which is like yours, but with a good ol' tape player), I get FM fine, but AM is all static, no words.
*edit* Of course, my knowledge of audio systems is VERY limited. I've thought about putting a 'system' in my truck, but, I don't know anything, and I have better thing to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:31 PM
pcjeep

Yes I'm the same way, I don't spend lots of money on car audio.
my ears would hear the same thing on a $100 system and a $900 system!
a good home audio system Is a different story.
Yes the antenna has 0 ohms continuity from the top-tip of the outside antenna to the radio and casing itself and also to the body ground.
I forgot to mention that the radio I used to test with was just sitting in the shop, un-used.
so it could be bad. the photo you see here is a photo from ebay, mine looks exactly the same but no CD player. The photo is hard to see but I don't think its a CD player. I would like to study more about audio, but right now I just replace the radio when it does this, so do the other guys in my shop. I think I will wait until I get one at the shop that will fit mine and just try it out. As long as the customer is waiting!
I didn't put this under the Audio/Visual Electronics forum, there are allot of sharp guys in this General Tech forum so I tried here first.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 AM
pcjeep

I tried out another radio at the shop and it worked fine. I was trying 2 bad radios.

Quick Reply: radio no reception