General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Dakota RT won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM
bisslre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dakota RT won't start

I have a 1999 Dakota RT 5.9... it was starting and shuting off. It would run for 10 minutes and then shut off for 1.5 hours. The gauges on the dash would not work and the odometer reads " NO BUS".. After the 1.5 hours everything comes back to life and the fuel pump fires up and the truck will start. Then when you start it back up it will run for 10 minutes again and then shut off. This time when it shut off I replaced the PCM and it still would not start.. I removed the Crank Sensor and cooled it off to 50 degrees.. Installed it back in and still will not start... Checked all the sensors and they read 5 volts. Wait the 1.5 hours and it will start back up... this time I had a Scanner hooked up to it and when it shut off I got a message ( LOST CONNECTION). This all started when I put a new radio in it... So I put the old redio back in messed around with nthe remote start and now it will not start at all. the dash reads ( No Bus ).. The odd part is it always would run for 10 minutes exactly and shut off for 1.5 hours. I have checked all relays, sensors and everything is to spec. I can't get the cluster to talk to the PCM.... Please help. I think it is in the remote start, but now 100% sure

Old 08-21-2006, 05:06 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Dakota RT won't start

Since you say
ORIGINAL: bisslre

The odd part is it always would run for 10 minutes exactly ... I think it is in the remote start
this, and since I remember that most remote start systems witll shut-off the car after about 10-15 minutes if you don't get to the car before that, I would have to say you are correct.
I think you probably either wired the remote start up wrong, or the unit is defective. I've never installed/uninstalled/messed with a remote start, but you might want to uninstall it and revert the wiring back to factory (first, make sure you have it wired up correctly, than uninstall). If, after you uninstall, if it runs fine, call up the company and under whatever warranty it has, have them send you a new one.
Post the results back.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dakota RT won't start