General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Amsoil Questions and answ

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:02 AM
mroe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Amsoil Questions and answ

I just bought a used 2001 Dodge Durango 5.9L 43000 miles on it. Would like to switch to Amsoil. Not sure if previous owner uesed synthetics or not. Should I flush first? I live In Phoenix where it's HOT, what oil would you recommend and what kind of filter? Read about the duel deal, but not sure I can make it fit. Also thinking about the K&N ram air. Any thoughts on that?

Old 03-21-2004, 02:20 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mroe

I just bought a used 2001 Dodge Durango 5.9L 43000 miles on it. Would like to switch to Amsoil. Not sure if previous owner uesed synthetics or not. Should I flush first? I live In Phoenix where it's HOT, what oil would you recommend and what kind of filter? Read about the duel deal, but not sure I can make it fit. Also thinking about the K&N ram air. Any thoughts on that?

Your a perfect candidate for synthetic oil. I live in the hot Mojave desert of southern California and Kale (Syntheticsman) lives in Tempe AZ. Both of us immediately noticed an engine temperature decrease after switching to Amsoil synthetic oil. I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in the middle of the summer (last June) and my engine temps barely crept up 5 degrees. When I used Castrol GTX in the past, I would notice a 10 to 20 degree temp jump while sitting in traffic. Not with Amsoil!

I would recommend the SAE 10w-30 (1 year/25,000 mile oil) for your Durango. This is the oil I use in my 4.7 Dakota and my 5.9 Ram.

The correct oil filter for your Durango is the SDF-42.

1 bottle of Amsoil engine flush is an excellent idea to clean your engine and help rid it of old oil deposits such as sludge, leftover additives, varnish, etc). You pour the flush into your crankcase, with the old oil and run it at a fast idle for 20 minutes. Drain the flush and old oil, and now your ready to run Amsoil. The flush costs $3.45 wholesale, so it is a very economical treatment.

If you ran the 1 year or 25,000 mile oil, you will need to replace the oil filter at 6 months or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first).

I currently have 11 months and 13,000 miles on my Dakota's oil and will be changing it in 2 weeks. Since I don't drive a lot of miles, I changed my filter at 6 months and will change my oil at 1 year.

Here is a rundown of what you would need:
1 bottle of engine flush,
7 quarts of SAE 10w-30 (extra for the oil filter replacement and for topping off)
2 SDF-42 oil filters.

Kale should chime in with the cost.

Bill,

Old 03-21-2004, 04:29 PM
SyntheticsMan
Professional

Hi there Mroe,

Nice to see another local on the boards.......where did you buy your Durango?

Here's what this will cost you. I'd recommend a Preferred Customer Program too. Only 10.00 gets you Dealer costs for 6 months, or 20.00 for 1 year.

Engine Flush $3.45 PC or $4.75 Retail
7 Quarts of ATM-QT 10W-30 $31.85 PC $40.95 Retail
2 SDF-42 Oil Filters $17.60 PC $ 23.10 Retail
6 month PC $10.00

Sub Totals $62.90 w/PC or $68.80 Retail

Shipping $7.75
Tax $3.52 PC 3.85 Retail

That should do it. As you can see you'll save more money with PC.

Just let me know what you'd like to do. You can order directly from my website or you can call me, and I'll process the order.

Chat with ya soon

Kale

Old 03-21-2004, 07:26 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Synthetics are THE way to go in extreme weather, either hot or cold. I live in HOT climate as well (San Antonio Texas) plus the turbo in my SRT-4 generates a lot of heat itself.

As far as the ram air goes, I'd give it a try. K&N makes a good line of products. Expensive, but good. Don't forget the "recharge kit"!!![sm=smiley17.gif]

Old 03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
94RamRV3500

I'm curious about Amsoil. My application would be a '94 Ram 3500 which is under a 29' Serro Scotty Class C Camper used for long runs, towing a Jeep and going to Nascar events.

ENLIGHTEN ME! OOOHHHHHMMMMM

Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synthetics is general are a good idea. Amsoil does put a considerable amount of time, effort, and money into trying to seperate their product from all other synthetic lubricants that are out there.

I don't use that oil, but use a synthetic that is more readily available.

Quick Reply: Amsoil Questions and answ