General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dodge Stealth Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:32 PM
xsclark1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Stealth Fuel Pump?

Hope someone can help. I have a '94 Dodge Stealth R/T, with just over 100,000 miles. DOHC Recently, when I got in the car and turned on the key, it would seem that I occasionally smelled gas, even before cranking it over. Once I started the car everything seemed normal. This went on for a couple of months. Then one day, after I had been drving for 20 monutes or so, it started cutting out. It kind of sputtered along and then died. After leaving it cool down, it started back up normally and drove it on home.

The next morning I drove to the gas station and filled it with Premium gas, just to make sure that I didn't get bad gas. On the way back home it started briefly cutting out, but didin't stall completly. The whole trip was about 6 miles.

It isn't my daily driver, so about two weeks later, I went out to start, It fired up with a large clang in the engine, a big cloud of black smoke, but then idled normallly. I shutit off, and it started up again with no problem right away.

About week later, I moved it to a different part of the driveway. It started normally.

This was about 3 months ago. Yesterday, it wouldn't start at all.

Any thoughts? I had an old pontiac that behavied like that when the fuel pump went out years ago.

If it is a fuel pump, has anyone ever replaced one? How difficult and costly a job would that be?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-06-2004, 07:43 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Stealth Fuel Pump?

i looked up your pump, both with and without the turbo. i dont know if youre religious, but if you are, pray that its not the pump.

612.00 list on the pump, not sure of the labor, but i bet thats very high also.
11.95 on the pump gasket
27.70 for the non-turbo filter
57.50 if youre boosted

btw, i looked around, and no one is showing that pump setup, which is the biggest problem with the stealth/3000gt from those years. have you had to buy a headlight assembly or head pipe?

Old 07-07-2004, 12:07 AM
JCswm
Veteran

You'll need to do a little testing but it's nothing the contents of your wallet won't fix!!!!
If your rich.... pray it's the fuel pump.... easy to get to, takes less than an hour to change!!!!
If your rich..... It might only be the cam sensor .... easy to change, 1/2 hour to install
If your rich...... It might only be the MAF sensor.... 10 min. and your done
If your rich..... Buy a Viper and store this car for your Kids, Things might be cheaper in the future!!!!
I'd start with a fuel pressure test!!

Old 07-07-2004, 01:08 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*lol @ jcswm* good show...is the pump that easy to replace? no dropping the tank? im only going by the diagram that i have on my computer.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:57 PM
JCswm
Veteran

yep, the fuel pump is under the back seat.... the only hard part is cutting through the tar, A good box knife works best
BTW there's 2 access holes.... the hole behind the pass. seat is the pump, the middle hole is the sending unit!!

Quick Reply: Dodge Stealth Fuel Pump?