General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No brakes Need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 AM
fyrfyghtr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brakes Need help!!!!

My wife was driving my truck and had just left home. She put on brakes and said there was a pop, felt more than heard, and the pedal went to the floor. I got the truck back home and noticed it was low on brake fluid. I refilled it and tried the brakes again, nothing. I noticed brake fluid leaking from on top of the rear differential. Is this something I should attempt or should I take it to a pro.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 PM
bdering
Rookie
Default RE: No brakes Need help!!!!

Hi fyrfyghtr,

Sounds like it could be the rear brake hose or one of the fittings. If you understand braking systems then you could do this yourself. If not, better to let a pro do it. The brakes will need to be bled after changing a hose. Normally, it requires two people unless you have a pressure bleeder (many repair shops have them). Either way, you will still need to loosen the bleeder screws on the wheel cylinders or calipers (if you have disc brakes in the rear). Sometimes they seize in place and can be difficult not to snap off when attempting to loosen them. If you are at all uncomfortable with working on the brakes or perhaps do not have ready access to the necessary parts...you may be better off taking it to a repair shop.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 AM
tenntech
Professional
Default RE: No brakes Need help!!!!

There is a recall on these trucks concerning the rear axle vent tube rubbing through the rubber brake line. Depending on were the leak is, the repair may be covered under the recall. The recall number is 891.

Quick Reply: No brakes Need help!!!!