General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 11:02 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new gauges

i installed my new a piller gauge pods, and im happy with how they look, but i need to buy T connections for the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge so that my idiot lights are always on if i put the probes for the new units in the existing holes. my question is, where can i find those connections??

Old 07-12-2004, 01:57 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new gauges

What type of connector are you talking about, an electrical or mechanical connector?

Old 07-12-2004, 02:11 AM
moparturd
Banned

Let me guess what gauges you got.

Oil pressure, OK. I can see this one since you have such a HiPo motor in your strutas, and you aren't quit sure what the dash light is for.
Bling meter, cause you gotz da cool ride.
Light meter, to measure the brightness of your neon.
Bankometer. Tells you how much your decreasing the value of your car with all this stupid crap your hanging on it.

[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 07-12-2004, 02:20 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

dont hate on me because i got the looks in the family....and that is a typical reply from a honda driver, we have cars being traded in at the dealership that have stuff done to them now...it isnt like i have hood scoops, or a body kit, like on your civic...and lets keep in mind..ONE of us did own a 4 cylinder car with duals...
anyway..
i got a water temp, voltmeter, and oil pressure..

the volt meter is simple..but with the water and oil, if i hook them into the factory ports and disconnect the original gauges, the idiot lights come on..

Old 07-12-2004, 02:29 AM
moparturd
Banned

Are they electrical hook-ups then? Trouble is you don't know what the voltage is, probably the full 12 VDC. The gauges will have a variable signal voltage. So you probably need a fitting that will accomodate both the new and stock sending units. Pull the stock units and grab the new ones and go to Lowes or Home Depot and find the fittings you need. Get brass ones, they'll hold up better.

Old 07-12-2004, 02:39 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

the oil pressure has a oil line..a clear hose...the water temp has the same style that any AM gauge has...the probe that goes into the water pump housing...the only power hookup for them is for the inside lights..and those, of course..are already wired up..i dont think im gonna deal with the fittings until winter, when the car is put away...

i was just afraid that someone..and im sure you know who...woudl either set something on the pod setup, or throw it away if i let it lay around...so i put it in the car to get it our of...umm.."harms" way...

Old 07-12-2004, 10:33 AM
moparturd
Banned

Here's the real simple solution. If all you have are idiot lights on the dash, simply pull the cluster and remove the bulbs.[sm=smiley20.gif] Then just hook your gauges up as needed.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:22 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd. When I put my oil pressure gauge in my R/T I simply replaced the factory sending unit with the one for the gauge and no lights ever came on. I had it this way for around a year or two with no lights at all from the plug just hanging there disconnected.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:51 AM
moparturd
Banned

71RR Did the R/T's have a gauge, and no idiot light? That's interesting. I know that all those signals go back through the computer, then to the cluster.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Quick Reply: new gauges